Tips, Tricks, Diet Changes for Hypothyroidism

Options
Since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism last fall, I've discovered that weight loss is no longer as easy as creating a calorie deficit between food and working out. This is, of course, very frustrating when the formula of eating 1500 calories and working out 5 days a week no longer gave me my regular 2 lb a week loss.

I'm on synthroid and all of my hypothyroid symptoms are gone - except the ability to lose weight. I lose, just very slowly and I have a pattern that goes something like - I lose 2 lbs, I gain 4 lbs later that week. I lose those 4 lbs and an extra lb the next week. I gain 3 lbs. Lose those 3 plus 1, etc. I generally average about 1 lb a week. Sometimes I just end up maintaining. It's complicated. I stay around 1500 calories a week, more depending on my work outs. I weigh 312 lbs. I use a bodymedia bodybugg to try to create the deficits appropriately for my size.

I started doing some digging into foods that effect people with hypothyroidism even when their levels are treated to normal ranges. I already knew to stay away from soy, but I discovered that other foods effect hypo people differently. Some people have a carb sensitivity. Some people have a gluten sensitivity. Some people can't handle any food that contains goitrogens. Some people just have a sensitivity to certain goitrogen foods. Some people don't have any sensitivity to any foods and lose weight just fine.

It's enough to make you crazy! :-)

I just had oral surgery on monday and am stuck with a liquid/very soft diet until next week, but once I'm able to chew food again, I was thinking about cutting out all the foods that are known to cause problems for some people with hypothyroidism. I'd like to spend a few weeks this way and see if I'm doing better, worse, or the same. Then I'd like to start adding things back into my diet to see if any of these foods cause my weight loss to slow or stop.

Some of the foods I've read about and spoken with my doctor about include but are not limited to:
(Note: I know that many of these are ok if cooked. Goitrogens are partially deactivated during cooking.)
Carbs (in general)
Gluten
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Spinach
Almonds
Strawberries
Brussel Sprouts
Sweet Potatoes
Cabbage
Peaches
Peanuts

My question is, if you have hypothyroidism, did you discover you were sensitive to any of these foods and that not eating them made it easier to lose weight? Are there any other foods I ought to consider cutting out? Were there any other changes you made to make your weight loss more successful despite having hypothyroidism?

On a slightly different note because I've had this recommended to me, my doctor will not prescribe Armour. I'm hesitant to find another doctor because I really like my doctor and aside from disagreeing with the practice of prescribing Armour, she's been really wonderful about talking to me about the research I've done. She's also my regular family doctor. Finding a different doctor to try the different hormone therapy is sort of my last option.

And I know the idea of cutting broccoli out of your diet sounds totally crazy, but I've read enough about it that I'm convinced and my doctor did agree that foods containing goitrogens effect hypo people differently. Up until a couple of weeks ago I was eating either spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoes or cauliflower every day. With my wildly fluctuating weight loss, it just seems worth trying, even if it sounds nuts. I was just hoping to hear some personal stories from others who have my problem.

Thank you!!!!

Replies

• mathey96
    mathey96 Posts: 4
    Options
    Soy and dairy are big triggers as well...I found I'm lactose intolerant and know exactly how ya feel with the weight loss! I've been on levoxyl for 15 years now and can't lose weight or I yoyo like you do. I was always skinney before this happened to me.The only way, unfortunately, I found to lose weight is a low carb diet...I love my pasta and bread, cookies,...so it's bad news for me. Let us know what works for you when you find a way! Good luck. You're not alone on this one.