Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

18 WEEK COUCH TO 5K?

I read somewhere the other day that there is an extended 5k workout plan that is a better pace for ULTRA beginners. Does anyone know where I can find that program?

Replies

• themagicschu
    themagicschu Posts: 17 Member
    i can honestly categorize myself as ULTRA beginner level (i always hated running) but i started a week ago and can tell you it is really doable. you can also repeat days or weeks in case you feel that the upcoming challenges are too demanding yet, so basically no need to do it in the 10 week timeframe if you don't want to.

steve
  • mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Well I would agree with you on that Steve. It is quite doable. I actually did the plan and run 4 miles a day several days a week... BUT I have a friend who tried the program and really just could NOT do it yet. She wants to get started but she wants an easier plan.
  • themagicschu
    themagicschu Posts: 17 Member
    maybe this is right for her? http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Programs/conservative_program.htm

i guess if 7 months are too long she could certainly step it up a notch if she wants to.

steve
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    if I was your friend tell her to do each week twice and it will bring her to a 20 week program......
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    I did a 13 weeks to 10k plan. (You can google it for a PDF version, or look for "the beginning runner's handbook" at your library). The sessions start at about 45 minutes, so you're supposed to be able to walk that much to begin with, but the progression is slower than c25k, and the intervals a bit easier to program into RK etc.
  • FINALLY_MrsJones
    FINALLY_MrsJones Posts: 12 Member
    I just started Couch to 5K today using the adroid app. I got halfway through the program and had to stop because my shins hurt so badly. But that's okay. I'm just going to keep repeating "day 1" until I CAN do it. Perhaps your friend could do the same thing? Tell her to take it at her own pace, there's no shame in that.
  • mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Thanks guys. I gave her this info. I appreciate it!
  • Sondicalondi
    Sondicalondi Posts: 57 Member
    I was a definite couch potato and took the YMCA couch to 5K program 3 years ago it was 12 weeks.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Just chiming in to say that I don't know about an 18 week C25K, but I have a 12-week plan that's a little more forgiving than the standard 9-week plan:

http://imgur.com/vgdNZ

ETA: W3D3 has a typo, you are supposed to walk 10 minutes, then do 3 sets of alternating running for 3 minutes and walking for 2 minutes, not running for 2 minutes, lol.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Just do the regular C25K and repeat days or weeks. You'll get there...but only if you do it! I did the program as an ultra beginner weighing 234 lbs, and it *is* do-able. I did repeat probably 1 day out of each week, because I didn't feel ready to move on.

Go for it!
  • parallelfifths
    parallelfifths Posts: 17 Member
    I just started Couch to 5K today using the adroid app. I got halfway through the program and had to stop because my shins hurt so badly. But that's okay. I'm just going to keep repeating "day 1" until I CAN do it. Perhaps your friend could do the same thing? Tell her to take it at her own pace, there's no shame in that.

Atta girl! Way to make it work for you!! I repeat each week twice. Actually, week one lasted about two and half weeks for me! You're better today than you were yesterday. :)
  • parallelfifths
    parallelfifths Posts: 17 Member
    Also, I'd say it's perfectly fine to speed-walk the run intervals instead of running them! It may be a good bridge between the weeks, if needed.