It's it normal to talk to yourself in your head all the time?

Options
weightloss_acc
weightloss_acc Posts: 109 Member
?

Replies

• weightloss_acc
    weightloss_acc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Lol I am not normal lol.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I think that as long as you do not start having conversations and answering yourself back out loud, its all good.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's all cool unless the voices start developing accents from different countries.... so far, so good.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,604 Member
    Options
    Talk to yourself or have better relationships with people/characters who don't know you exist than in real life because...same. :)
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Options
    I suppose it's all cool unless the voices start developing accents from different countries.... so far, so good.

Wait, so you are saying Svetlana is weird?

Is it just one voice, or all of them?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I think that as long as you do not start having conversations and answering yourself back out loud, its all good.

I often have a good chat to myself, especially walking home from work or when going for a run.
  • TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's better than 99.9% of the conversations I've had outside my head over the past 60-some years. B)
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal. It's only when you start arguing with yourself where you can be overheard that you might need to worry. Apparently that one isn't as normal.

Now then, if you start hearing the voices of other people in your head, you might want to seek professional help.

Sub-vocalizing when you read is normal, too.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's called "Executive Function".
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Yes, Dolores.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I talk to myself in my head all the time. I've even given labels to the various voices in there.

No names yet though, that would just be weird. :|
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Options

Wait, so you are saying Svetlana is weird?

Is it just one voice, or all of them?

That's the only one with an accent

All the voices in my head took a vote... we agree you are a-ok.
  • tomwasilj3w
    tomwasilj3w Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Lol I am not normal lol.

I don't believe there is such a thing as normal. We're all crazy in our own way. Split personality disorder is a thing though. So I'd be concerned with hearing multiple voices especially with their own personalities/names.

That being said, i have inner dialog in my head all the time. Not sure if it's good or bad. I try to Meditate to learn to silence my mind but it don't practice it nearly as much as I should
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Sure hope it's "normal", I talk to myself all the time...often aloud too.

When typing or writing numbers I always say them aloud because I have a tendency to reverse them and not notice.
    Yes, it's normal. It's only when you start arguing with yourself where you can be overheard that you might need to worry. Apparently that one isn't as normal.

Now then, if you start hearing the voices of other people in your head, you might want to seek professional help.

Sub-vocalizing when you read is normal, too.

On very rare occasions I hear voices...they usually call my name and it sounds so realistic, clear as day, but I'm alone. Usually happens when I falling asleep. Once I heard someone singing - opera or something, it was very quick and short lived.