Confused

Options
I don't really understand how I have dropped a couple sizes in the past few of months but according to the scale I've GAINED weight! I was never good with biology or physics or any of that, can please explain this to me as I am just very confused?!?! Thanks :)

Replies

• SweetieMelissa
    SweetieMelissa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You have lost inches and gained muscle mass, most likely. :D
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Highly Doubtful.

It is extremely hard to gain muscle mass, especially mass that can be ready by the scale, especially at a caloric deficit, and as a female. Good chance there is some water retention going on here, but hard to say for sure.

Did you up the intensity of your workouts, or add anything new?
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    But I couldn't have possibly gained THAT much muscle! Could I?? I thought that whole "muscle weighs more than fat" thing was just an excuse people used when they didn't want to face up to the fact that they were having trouble dropping pounds.
  • RGv2
    Options
    But I couldn't have possibly gained THAT much muscle! Could I?? I thought that whole "muscle weighs more than fat" thing was just an excuse people used when they didn't want to face up to the fact that they were having trouble dropping pounds.

Highly doubt it.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first reply- you're probably gaining lean muscle, which results in losing inches but your weight staying the same/going up a bit. How much have you gained, though? If it's a large amount, there may be another factor causing the weight gain (in addition to just gaining lean muscle).
  • ladypitek
    Options

Highly Doubtful.

It is extremely hard to gain muscle mass, especially mass that can be ready by the scale. Good chance there is some water retention going on here, but hard to say for sure.

Actually yea! I didn't really work out the first few months I was losing weight. Only in the past month or 2 have I started going to the gym; strength training, running, elliptical, etc. All still fairly new to me.
  • RGv2
    Options

Highly Doubtful.

It is extremely hard to gain muscle mass, especially mass that can be ready by the scale. Good chance there is some water retention going on here, but hard to say for sure.

Actually yea! I didn't really work out the first few months I was losing weight. Only in the past month or 2 have I started going to the gym; strength training, running, elliptical, etc. All still fairly new to me.

OK, you might have some noob muscle gains, but not enough to move the scale.

When you start a new training program, or move to a program from not exercising your body retains a fair amount of water for muscle repair. This can cause you to get "smaller" lower BF%, but not lose weight.
  • ladypitek
    Options
    Thank you! You guys are always so helpful :)