Saturday's are my weak point.

Options
So I have been trying to make better life choices for myself. Great right?! I'm taking it slowly because from personal experience I don't do well with cold turkey. Anywho my weakest day would be Saturday, when I am alone for the most of the day. I pretty well binge on Saturday's it's like all motivation is gone on saturdays. How do everyone keep themselves on track on hard days?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I raise my calories on Saturday. I eat at maintenance or above, and make sure my intake for the week puts me at the weekly deficit I desire. I don't mess around with a deficit on a Saturday.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Try to plan ahead. Even if it is junk food or too many calories get in the habit of maintaining control and accurate logging.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I also tend to eat a little less than my goal each day of the week so that at the weekend I have a little extra. Remember that if your goal is to lose 1lb a week, that's 500cal down a day so even if you eat 500cal over your goal on a Saturday, you're still not going to gain weight, it'll just slow down the rate of loss a little.
  • jessicasmum2008
    jessicasmum2008 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You could try to go for a walk to shops or a nice long walk just to get out of the house so that you can't eat as much. Leave your money at home. Keep yourself busy so that you don't think about food. Or try to plan a treat but make it a small one and do a bit more moving to burn extra calories than you normally would. It's all about changing your habits if they need changing. Try not to be on your own or in a situation where you can over eat
  • YOLO145
    YOLO145 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If it's in the house, I'm more tempted to make poor food choices. I try to keep healthier alternatives on hand.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I don't have hard days per se, I have hard locations, like driving past the corner where I used to stop every time for a Coke icee. I can't avoid that corner, it's the only route to my house. What I have done is find things I like just as well or better and let myself have those instead - so for example I have a homemade slushie made with frozen blueberries and strawberries when I get home.

The only cure for doing things out of habit is to create new habits to replace them. You need something fun to do on Saturday that doesn't leave you free to eat at the same time, and pre-planned food to eat that you enjoy.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I prelog on Friday afternoon. Also, Sunday AM is my weigh-in day.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I find I have a problem with boredom eating. If I'm home alone with nothing really to do I eat.

I've found keeping busy solves this problem. I go out most Saturdays now even if it's to go for a walk or go window shopping or go to the bookstore or go to a cafe and sit and have a coffee. Anything but sitting at home doing nothing.
  • live2shift99
    live2shift99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have healthy snacks at hand. I like celery and carrots. Cherries are delicious. Some people like to plan for one "cheat meal" each week. Maybe Saturday night is yours? Do some extra exercise that day to help compensate.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have trouble on Saturdays too because they are unscheduled. I'm tired and default to being home for R&R and household stuff. Then I'm around all the food, and it's harder to avoid my family's junk food cabinet! But yesterday I called someone I knew was free and proposed a train trip into town where we could walk around all afternoon. Is there anything like this you can do, to be out and about in a public place? Mall, museum, train trip into town?
  • Pokemom33
    Pokemom33 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone I will keep all this in mind :) I really appreciate it
  • Michie112g
    Michie112g Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The weekend is my downfall !! Trying to find ways to fix it ..... this weekend I am just going to eat as healthy as possible. Give in to little temptation vs binging eating after trying to resist temptation. Hoping that works for me this weekend. Add me if you like maybe we can help one another
  • Nbaker0909
    Nbaker0909 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself on Saturdays and sundays. They're hard for me too. I tend to give myself a few more calories Saturday and just choose wisely what I really want to spend them on.i usually track my food the night before (or as much as I can on the weekend), and I also make an effort to move more (whether it's cleaning, taking the dog on an extra walk, or a little more me time at the gym). It's important not to binge every weekend but it's also real life. I find the weekends to be harder because they are less structured so I get it. Be mindful but be kind to yourself too. Life is about enjoying the time you have with friends and family on the weekends, just try not to make the focus about food too. You can do it!
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Planning is the only thing that keeps me from being irresponsible. And because it's a day off I try to work in exercise, like a bike ride or swimming!
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with weekends too. I think it's from getting thrown off my routine, having unexpected things pop up (like friends inviting us over), etc.

What could you plan to do today? A mix of fun and chores? I'd schedule it out and pre-plan.
  • warrennotes
    warrennotes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Saturday night is a time when people feel like they should be having a good time. Of course, as they get older, they usually don't. So they're depressed. Sunday, IMO, is just plain depressing all on its own. I'd say get some rituals to perform and maybe identify the depressing cues that make these times a downer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Weekends are when I actually have some time to do longer rides, go for hikes, hit the climbing gym, etc. I get out and about on the weekends...I'm just getting ready to head out for a 30 mile date ride with my wife here shortly...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,906 Member
    Options
    Yes, Saturdays and Sundays are the days my husband and I go for long bicycle rides or hikes or to the gym for a couple hours, but mostly long bicycle rides.

I usually have weekends planned about 6 weeks in advance and we start to look forward to "rest weekends" like this one where we did only a 50 km ride on Saturday (yesterday) and are planning a short hike tomorrow ... because they allow us time to do things like sleep in, clean the house, and get caught up on errands and things.

• Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Michie112g wrote: »
    The weekend is my downfall !! Trying to find ways to fix it ..... this weekend I am just going to eat as healthy as possible. Give in to little temptation vs binging eating after trying to resist temptation. Hoping that works for me this weekend. Add me if you like maybe we can help one another

I like your plan! Feel free to add me too, anyone.