Wait... do I need more protein because I strength train?

Options
2»

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Consuming protein powder in the form of a shake makes practical sense if you are following a menu and workout plan that involves consuming x grams of protein within particular narrow windows, e.g. immediately post-workout in the gym or before. Powder is portable, water is freely available, it's insanely quick to do, and you don't need access to a fully-equipped kitchen to make it. This all adds up to you being able to get back to work before your lunch hour is over, and still have had time to shower.

However, for people who simply want to up their protein consumption each day, who don't have the same time constraints on when to supplement their diet, mixing measured quantities into food during ordinary meal preparation is fine.

I recommend baked beans, yogurt, chunky vegetable soup and mashed potato for this, but your tastes may vary. There's no need to torture yourself trying to find a shake formulation you find palatable if your circumstances allow you to add tablespoonfuls to food.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    You're close enough to your protein goals, don't sweat it. Other foods high in protein: Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, lunch meat, lentils, egg whites, fair life milk, jerky...

I don't eat meat but all the other ideas are good :) I've never tried fresh lentils so that's an idea and I was eating a lot of egg whites not sure why I stopped. I'll just go back to having those most mornings and it should help a lot since they're very protein rich. Thank you!

Egg whites is my favorite, because it's straight up protein, no fats and no carbs. So if you maxed out in both fats and carbs, I highly suggest that you have the egg whites for those moments. Protein powder will also do (get isolates if you don't want any fats and carbs).

I love egg whites so as long as I can figure out some creative ways to use them or some new omelettes I like so it isnt cheddar and jalapeno all day Im sure that will be my main go to lol.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    You don't need that much protein in one serving, your body won't be able to use it all. That would be about what you would need for the whole day.

f252s.jpg

It's not like protein (and its calories) disappear because they can't be processed all in one go; the entire job of the small intestine is to process food into animo acids and simpler molecules.

I just wanted to post the cat again... Also, I agree.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    beanz744 wrote: »
    because u r still eating at a deficit to lose fat, u need to eat enough protein in order to preserve muscle mass, regardless how u intake ur protein. try .6 to .8g per pound of CW for now

Sounds good. That would be 107-130ish grams somewhere in there! Thanks :)
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Consuming protein powder in the form of a shake makes practical sense if you are following a menu and workout plan that involves consuming x grams of protein within particular narrow windows, e.g. immediately post-workout in the gym or before. Powder is portable, water is freely available, it's insanely quick to do, and you don't need access to a fully-equipped kitchen to make it. This all adds up to you being able to get back to work before your lunch hour is over, and still have had time to shower.

However, for people who simply want to up their protein consumption each day, who don't have the same time constraints on when to supplement their diet, mixing measured quantities into food during ordinary meal preparation is fine.

I recommend baked beans, yogurt, chunky vegetable soup and mashed potato for this, but your tastes may vary. There's no need to torture yourself trying to find a shake formulation you find palatable if your circumstances allow you to add tablespoonfuls to food.

Awesome! Thanks. I dont work. Stay at home mom and full time college student. I am busy but when I eat I eat at home so it should be fine :) I love vegetable soup, potatoes, and beans so all of that works for me.