"first fast, then binge" or "first binge, then fast"

Options
13»

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Oh my god so many replies! First of all, sorry for the late reply. I am studying for exams right now (21 years old I am not a small teenage girl), which is why 1) I am distracting myself with unnecessary questions and 2) haven't replied yet.

I was honestly thinking about how the digestive system would theoretically work in extreme conditions. By no means am I considering doing this nor do I have the habit of doing so. I swear, I was just procrastinating by getting curious about weird things (last week I did research on how to keep bees for over 20 hours, even though I have no intention of getting bees myself. The week before that is was narcissism, more specifically how having narcissistic parents would affect people when they become adults in terms of their view on having children themselves. I just have a weird habit of learning a lot about things that are very useless during exam period.)

Now, let's elaborate. My friend asked me if going on a water diet for ten days was a good idea to lose weight (literally only drinking water for ten days). I said it wasn't, because we need food, obviously, secondly she would literally starve herself and she probably would end up binging (however, I guess I should use another term for this, since I just meant "eating a lot", not the binging you do when you have binge eating disorder or bulimia). Secondly, I told her that her digestive system would slow down and that he would probably gain back all of her weight rapidly. With fasting I also meant the time it would take for our digestive system to slow down. I talked her out of it, but I simply started wondering how eating a lot and not eating at all would affect her (and other people) in extreme conditions in terms of health . Honestly, eating disorders didn't even cross my mind.
    I myself eat three healthy meals every day, basically eating whatever I want, keeping junkfood to a minimum, in case you're wondering.

Edit: I am so sorry if I offended anyone in any way. Should I delete this post? this is not how I wanted my question to come across.
    Edit 2: I feel legitimately guilty right now.

You will find wording is important. No need to feel guilty! I can assure you that the majority of regular posters are rarely offended, but do typically enjoy a lively discussion coming from varied viewpoints. If you want to procrastinate, these forums have been one of my main procrastination strategies. Not as productive as killing the dust bunnies behind my fridge, but just as effective. Best of luck on your exams.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Binge eating is never healthy. Hopefully you just mean overeating and not truly binge eating, as in eating compulsively out of control.

Fasting, when done properly, can be good for your health. It can also be a valid method of offsetting calories for days where you overeat, though I would agree with posts above that it should not be done as a punishment. I fast sometimes when I know I will overeat or have overeaten. It's a convenient way for me to control my weight.

But eating should always be done with control. Don't just mindlessly shovel food in your face with the intention of starving yourself later.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    But eating should always be done with control. Don't just mindlessly shovel food in your face with the intention of starving yourself later.

So much this...

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    This would be the strangest way I've heard IF described, if that's what the topic here is. IF wouldn't typically be considered binge/fast cycles.

OP, can you describe the context in which you are using the terms binge and fast? That would help get clearer answers.

We might have different views of what "binge" means. There's many days I have 1500-2000 calories meals( one meal a day). And I meet most of my macros. I don't have an ED.
    I would imagine that can be considered binging by most people, no?

1400-1600 calories is dinner... pretty much every night. It's just under 2/3 of my daily calories.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This would be the strangest way I've heard IF described, if that's what the topic here is. IF wouldn't typically be considered binge/fast cycles.

OP, can you describe the context in which you are using the terms binge and fast? That would help get clearer answers.

We might have different views of what "binge" means. There's many days I have 1500-2000 calories meals( one meal a day). And I meet most of my macros. I don't have an ED.

Coming in late, but no, I wouldn't call that a binge unless it otherwise met the factors that I think make up a binge (the uncontrolled, compulsive stuff).

Too late now. We already decided that you need to get help for ED:-)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    As someone who IFs and has binging tendencies...

Controlled and intentional eating is fine, pretty much regardless of calorie totals, assuming those calories add up to a reasonably healthy overall diet.

Uncontrolled eating (what I think of when I hear and talk about binging) is pretty much always bad for people with this tendency*, both in terms of overall nutrition, general health, and mentality/relationship with food.

*please note - the psychology of a binge eating session is VERY different than someone who is at a party/event/whatever and just decides they don't care about cals for the time being and eats as much as they can of whatever they can. Think about Thanksgiving as an example, as compared to an emotional eating episode.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Coming in late, but no, I wouldn't call that a binge unless it otherwise met the factors that I think make up a binge (the uncontrolled, compulsive stuff).

I have to say it took me about 2 months to get used to that abbreviation.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Sorry to hear about your other problem :wink:

To be honest, it took me a while too.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

Did you seek help with that issue?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Heh.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

No, it sounds planned and I don't see any disordered thinking around it, so not a binge.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Oh my god so many replies! First of all, sorry for the late reply. I am studying for exams right now (21 years old I am not a small teenage girl), which is why 1) I am distracting myself with unnecessary questions and 2) haven't replied yet.

I was honestly thinking about how the digestive system would theoretically work in extreme conditions. By no means am I considering doing this nor do I have the habit of doing so. I swear, I was just procrastinating by getting curious about weird things (last week I did research on how to keep bees for over 20 hours, even though I have no intention of getting bees myself. The week before that is was narcissism, more specifically how having narcissistic parents would affect people when they become adults in terms of their view on having children themselves. I just have a weird habit of learning a lot about things that are very useless during exam period.)

Now, let's elaborate. My friend asked me if going on a water diet for ten days was a good idea to lose weight (literally only drinking water for ten days). I said it wasn't, because we need food, obviously, secondly she would literally starve herself and she probably would end up binging (however, I guess I should use another term for this, since I just meant "eating a lot", not the binging you do when you have binge eating disorder or bulimia). Secondly, I told her that her digestive system would slow down and that he would probably gain back all of her weight rapidly. With fasting I also meant the time it would take for our digestive system to slow down. I talked her out of it, but I simply started wondering how eating a lot and not eating at all would affect her (and other people) in extreme conditions in terms of health . Honestly, eating disorders didn't even cross my mind.
    I myself eat three healthy meals every day, basically eating whatever I want, keeping junkfood to a minimum, in case you're wondering.

Edit: I am so sorry if I offended anyone in any way. Should I delete this post? this is not how I wanted my question to come across.
    Edit 2: I feel legitimately guilty right now.

@here can anyone find that thread from another OP whose brother was planning to do a water fast?
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    The 5/2 fasting is based on fasting, then free eating, repeat, repeat . . .

After the first week, it doesn't matter which came first in your cycle. Fasting always follows free eating and free eating always follows a fast.

Getting hypothetical about a one off doesn't reflect reality.

• schmidashley1
    schmidashley1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Binging makes you want more and more calories. And fasting makes you crave a big final reward. So they are both bad. But if i had to make the choice, i would fast first and then binge.