Fruit weighs heavily on my carbs percentage?

Options
I eat a lot of fruit during the day and I put that into my daily intake but when I look at the graph/percentages my carb percentage is way up even though a majority of that is due to fruit?

Replies

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Well, yeah, fruit is generally full of sugar, sugar = carbs. It's not necessarily bad, but yes, fruit is high carb.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    Well, yeah, fruit is generally full of sugar, sugar = carbs. It's not necessarily bad, but yes, fruit is high carb.

This, along with fiber if you're in the US. Unless you have a medical reason to watch your carb/sugar intake or are crowding out other nutrients due to your fruit consumption, it's fine.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Subtract your total fiber from your total carbs and watch your net carbs instead.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How many carbs are you talking about? More than MFP's recommendations (which can still be okay) or are you trying to low carb? Low carbing is not necessary and not right for everyone (although I personally kind of like it).

My personal guideline to whether one is eating too many carbs (or fruit specifically), not in any particular order:

(1) Getting enough protein?
    (2) Getting enough fat (especially fats from fish, nuts and seeds, avocados, olives and olive oil -- not necessarily all of them, but some combination)?
    (3) Satisfied/satiated and not hungry?
    (4) Staying within your calories? -- this is the only one that really affects weight loss, although being hungry can lead to not doing so, of course
    (5) Enough fiber? (this is not about too many carbs, as fiber will be from carbs, but whether you are eating nutrient dense carbs for the most part)

If you say no to any of these, consider whether you might be better off reducing carbs somewhat to increase protein and/or fat OR switching up the type of carbs you are consuming.