Should I be concerned that my leg falls asleep after running?

Options
I'm still a newbie runner, I'm still very slow and working on it. When I run, whether outside or on a treadmill, my leg will fall asleep after I am done and I sit down.

So it goes something like, go for run -> sit in car and drive a few blocks -> get out of car and leg buckles.

Always my left leg. It always recovers. I tried stretching after my run today and it solved the problem, but still wonder if it's something I should be concerned with. Google results are varied everything from "go to a doctor right meow" to "meh shoe prolly doesn't fit nbd".

I am leaner than I've ever been and noticed I have vascularity on my hips, is it possible that my waist band is squishing something on my hip? I don't really know how vascularity works since I've never had it to this extent before.

Is this stuff normal?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If stretching solves the problem then I see no reason to worry.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Ty
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor. I doubt it is anything to be worried about but I am not a doctor...

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    You may have mild sciatica. Stand on your toes and flex your calves. Is the left one "softer" than the other? If so that's an indication that not all the nerves are firing to contract the muscle.
    I have mild sciatica and if I sit on say a stationary bike or the toilet seat too long, my left leg goes numb. But I still squat, run and jump just fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You may have mild sciatica. Stand on your toes and flex your calves. Is the left one "softer" than the other? If so that's an indication that not all the nerves are firing to contract the muscle.
    I have mild sciatica and if I sit on say a stationary bike or the toilet seat too long, my left leg goes numb. But I still squat, run and jump just fine.

Wow that's crazy. It's exactly as you said, and I also have the issue with the toilet seats. For my stationary bike tilting the seat forward solved it. Am I.... going to be okay? :o:o:o:worried:

My initial google search says sciatica is associated with pain, but I have no pain. It also says it goes away over time. Why can't google just know everything?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Keep up with the stretching, and also focus on keeping your abs braced while running, to prevent excessive spinal twisting. :+1:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options

Wow that's crazy. It's exactly as you said, and I also have the issue with the toilet seats. For my stationary bike tilting the seat forward solved it. Am I.... going to be okay? :o:o:o:worried:

My initial google search says sciatica is associated with pain, but I have no pain. It also says it goes away over time. Why can't google just know everything?
    When it bothers me is when I DON'T exercise for a couple of days or so. Not real pain, just this slight numbing feeling down the back of my left leg. My leg hasn't atrophied so at this point I'm not worried.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

I advise googling for "piriformis sydrome exercises". The piriformis is a muscle buried under the glutes, that irritates the sciatic nerve when theey are weak, tight, or out of balance in some way. There are a goodly numbr of exercises that will stretch and/or strengthen the piriformis muscles. I used to have only a tiny little twinge of discomfort, and when a friend posted a link to a bunch of piriformis exercises, I thought, it can't hurt to try a few. It was great, the tiny little twinge of discomfort disappeared. Then when I started working out, it ramped up into actual pain. I read up on the topic of piriformis syndrome, and learned that much of it comes from imbalances in how we sit, stand, or use the muscles. I then started paying close attention to my form in every activity, including walking up and down stairs as well as while working out. I noted and corrected the balance, then started doing even more piriformis exercises. My discomfort and pain has gone away, but it took some work. And there was a while there when I thought I needed to see a physical therapist. But I kept at what I was doing, and it did get better.

Even though I did not enjoy that pain, I find myself grateful that I discovered the source of the problem while it was still easy to correct.
  • N6314P
    N6314P Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Started off exactly as you are describing 10 years ago and now suffer from full blown osteoarthritis. Please do not self diagnose unless you are truly unable to obtain a professional opinion. I wish I would have seen a PT who would have shown me exercises to strengthen my core and stabilize my 'bad' side. Pretty screwed up now. Good luck.