Does anyone else...

Options

Replies

• dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Me!

This year I'm growing carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, potatoes and beans. They won't be ready for another two months yet though. Also have some herbs growing and have an elderflower tree in my garden that I'll use to make elderflower cordial with when it starts to flower.

My garden is pretty small, I have this book about growing in small spaces, I'll dig it out and show you if you like? Was really helpful.

Post a pic of the cover please, will ya?
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    This may not be the book she has, but this is the one I have in my library. It's an excellent book on getting the most out of raised bed gardens.
    Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew
    8aatrmrs8c00.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    We try... but haven't got much luck in the last couple years. We have the worst luck with peppers for some reason too!

And this year the dogs keep getting in the garden, so until my husband fixes the 'fence' (chicken wire so far), we're not going to get much more.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    This is the one I have.

51h4aebam6fq.jpg
    usebis32en4p.jpg
    spuawf12gwe6.jpg

• Try150
    Try150 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Love to start growing my own.
  • Try150
    Try150 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Esp chilles.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    Options
    HyeKarma wrote: »
    I'll be right back with a picture from a couple years ago. I grew some weirdass tomatos.
    hrrhxgvktq4f.jpgvcfkdd8qlcic.jpg7gaw5i25eiwm.jpg

I love these haha. The dog is like "what are these?"
  • JukeboxHeroine
    JukeboxHeroine Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I usually have a garden. Tomatoes, corn, peppers, okra, peas, beans, cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberries, cucumbers, greens. I live in Alabama so we have a very long growing season. No garden this year though because I'm looking to sell my house and move.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    I'll be right back with a picture from a couple years ago. I grew some weirdass tomatos.

They tasted really really really good.
    I think they were this variety. Black Krim.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Krim
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    Options

They tasted really really really good.
    I think they were this variety. Black Krim.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Krim
    Nice! The last one looked like someone had bent down and split their trousers :D

• SEAHORSES4EVER
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Tomato plants
    s5uln8yyr010.jpg
    The raised bed with lettuce, carrots, strawberries, onions and potatoes
    ahi4cks36fuv.jpg
    Herb window box
    uaci7iwy97e8.jpg
    chilli babies
    k0fj6bvhcpql.jpg
    Elderflower
    qdrk2fbf2vto.jpg

I make sure these are all organic, to keep the pesky bugs away I use water and vinegar mix to spray on and keep lavender and flowers nearby to attract bees, hoverflies and butterflies which not only pollinate but also feed on the pests.

• LittleLionHeart1
    Options
    @SEAHORSES4EVER
    I really like all your pictures and gardening. :)
  • FireTurtle75
    Options
    I'm already looking forward to next year. I'm happy with what I'm getting out of these plants considering they took a beat down from a big hailstorm right as they started flowering.
  • FireTurtle75
    Options
    I make sure these are all organic, to keep the pesky bugs away I use water and vinegar mix to spray on and keep lavender and flowers nearby to attract bees, hoverflies and butterflies which not only pollinate but also feed on the pests.
    Those all look great. We used to use water & vinegar mix & also water & dawn dish detergent in a spray bottle to keep bugs off of most of our plants when I was growing up. You have to apply it a lot more than pesticides since it washes off, but it was a heck of alot cheaper in the long run & safe to use.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    Options
    Those all look great. We used to use water & vinegar mix & also water & dawn dish detergent in a spray bottle to keep bugs off of most of our plants when I was growing up. You have to apply it a lot more than pesticides since it washes off, but it was a heck of alot cheaper in the long run & safe to use.

I'll spray it daily in the summer months when all the bugs come to play. maybe put a mini polytunnel and netting over too.

This will also probably be me
    ykid2r6zq013.gif

• LittleLionHeart1
    Options
    Bam!! Got it! :D@SEAHORSES4EVER
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    Options
    You are my hero @HyeKarma I would never have found it with a name like "does anyone else".

Pics of my rhubarb are coming!
  • LittleLionHeart1
    Options
    y1brbnzi9y3j.jpg Wimpy little grape vine. And to think, we had many vineyards at one time.ul5vxreiblfd.jpgPeppersh5dkz4cnwo0x.jpgMy fuji apple tree from a seed. hdd6htot4y8e.jpgOrganic jumbo date palm, from a seed. p4a27usxijul.jpg And.... Pineapple sage explosion.

• SEAHORSES4EVER
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You're awesome @HyeKarma
    Can I come for dinner?
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    Options

Some of the rhubarb that's ready. Going to save it for my birthday and make rhubarb vodka :p
    thgqll3kbn05.jpg