2»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My blood pressure is quite low. When I cut way back on salt, it gets even lower to the point where standing up is difficult and my face goes all twitchy.

Along with that, I also start to crave salty food almost desperately.

As it happens, my normal diet is fairly low in salt, so I do things like salt my veggies now. Salted veggies take a little bit of getting used to, but I do feel better for it.

When I exercise, I need even more salt. I have nearly been hospitalised with hyponatremia so it's something I'm very careful about now. I take electrolyte tablets on longer bicycle rides.

Have you ever been checked for Addison's disease? My son has this and needs more salt than the average person because he doesn't make the hormones to keep the sodium/potassium balance in his body. Some of your symptoms are Addison's disease symptoms.

No I've never been tested for that.

In other news ... I had surgery 12 days ago, and it would appear that I'm suffering from post-surgery hyponatremia. Really painful bloating and swelling ... possibly made worse by the fact that I ran out of salt at work so I haven't been salting my lunch like I normally do ... and by the fact that I cycled on the weekend (possibly too soon after surgery) and sweated up a storm. I've taken an electrolyte tablet and am reducing the amount I'm drinking this evening, and will be visiting my surgeon tomorrow.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I eat a handful of pink salt before bed each night. It's crude, but it does help prevent me experiencing leg cramps in the middle of the night. Other than that, I make every effort to eat salty foods every chance I get. I spent 6 months last year playing stupid sodium tricks to demonstrate that I could get my sodium under 1500 mg per day and modulate water. I developed hyponatremia, which sucks majorly. After that, I started adding more sodium at every opportunity, relieved the symptoms of hyponatremia and kept losing weight by staying in a calorie deficit.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure is quite low. When I cut way back on salt, it gets even lower to the point where standing up is difficult and my face goes all twitchy.

As it happens, my normal diet is fairly low in salt, so I do things like salt my veggies now. Salted veggies take a little bit of getting used to, but I do feel better for it.

When I exercise, I need even more salt. I have nearly been hospitalised with hyponatremia so it's something I'm very careful about now. I take electrolyte tablets on longer bicycle rides.

Have you ever been checked for Addison's disease? My son has this and needs more salt than the average person because he doesn't make the hormones to keep the sodium/potassium balance in his body. Some of your symptoms are Addison's disease symptoms.

In other news ... I had surgery 12 days ago, and it would appear that I'm suffering from post-surgery hyponatremia. Really painful bloating and swelling ... possibly made worse by the fact that I ran out of salt at work so I haven't been salting my lunch like I normally do ... and by the fact that I cycled on the weekend (possibly too soon after surgery) and sweated up a storm. I've taken an electrolyte tablet and am reducing the amount I'm drinking this evening, and will be visiting my surgeon tomorrow.

That's really awful, sounds very uncomfortable!!! Hope you feel better
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

That's really awful, sounds very uncomfortable!!! Hope you feel better

Thanks!

I stopped in to see my surgeon and he suspects hyponatremia too. I have to stay under 1.5 litres of water a day (normally I drink about 3 litres) and salt everything until my weight drops back to normal (I had gained about 10 lbs in the 10 days after surgery).

Within a short time of taking the electrolyte tablet last night, I started feeling less distressed, and within about 2 hours of not drinking, my right kidney area, which was incredibly painful, started feeling better.

This morning I had lost about 1.5 lbs. :) Heading back to normal. :)