How did you get your "mojo" back?

Options
Piqueaboo
Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
I'm really struggling these days. I'm currently 18kg away from my goal weight (about 40lbs) but around 8 weeks ago I completely lost motivation to go out and exercise. I had a really good thing going, too, I did the Sweat app by Kayla Itsines which is 3x strength training a week plus 2x cardio, each session around 30 minutes, so good to maintain - I kept it up for about 5 weeks and then - nothing. I stuck to my calorie limit, so the scale still kept moving down, but this has now stopped, too. I'm fluctuating +/- 2kg, sometimes even daily, it's ridiculous (I choose to weigh myself every day for accountability and reassurance) and I can't break through this wall and go beneath 80kg. I had such a magnificent momentum for the past 6 months I'm just not ready for this emotionally.

I'm forcing myself to meal plan and prep more now, just because last week I bought a bag of doritos and the next day raided the bakery, this can't happen; I have no interest in gaining weight back, I've come too far, but it's hard - I suppose I'm looking for support here, have any of you been here before and managed to break through? Any tips or any suggestions? How did you get your "mojo" back?

(Full disclosure: I know I'm being ridiculous, and I know the only person who can do something about this is me)

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Have you reviewed your calorie goal since you've gotten closer to your goal? Have you taken any diet breaks? If you've been at this for a while, it can be beneficial to take a week or two at maintenance.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    After 6 months of consistent effort, do you think you are ready for a break? It's happening anyway because you are unable to push through, but if you consider a purposeful break it would at least feel as a part of the plan. Take a week, 2, or even a month off, however long you need (as long as you do maintain and not just get lax and regain). It will be great practice for maintenance, so it's not time wasted. When you feel you're ready to go again you'll be able to pick up where you left off.
  • Piqueaboo
    Options
    Have you reviewed your calorie goal since you've gotten closer to your goal? Have you taken any diet breaks? If you've been at this for a while, it can be beneficial to take a week or two at maintenance.

I check in every so often, but MFP has not yet adjusted the calories - I'm still in the "overweight" BMI so i think that's why. I have also not taken any breaks (or even thought about it), it is a really good idea - you mean like eating at maintenance for a few weeks and see how that goes?
    After 6 months of consistent effort, do you think you are ready for a break? It's happening anyway because you are unable to push through, but if you consider a purposeful break it would at least feel as a part of the plan. Take a week, 2, or even a month off, however long you need (as long as you do maintain and not just get lax and regain). It will be great practice for maintenance, so it's not time wasted. When you feel you're ready to go again you'll be able to pick up where you left off.

I haven't considered taking a break, it's not even crossed my mind until you both mentioned it. I will think about it, as I haven't done it before I'm a bit scared. In the past I lost 50lbs and then "stopped" logging, and over the next 4 years I put on around 80lbs, so I have that worrying me, however I know better this time round and wouldn't stop logging (I've accepted that this may be a 'forever' thing, and I'm perfectly happy with that, it's a tiny effort for a massive reward in the long term). I have read here in the past that people really struggle with maintenance, I think that has also coloured my thoughts about it.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    +1 on taking a break into maintenance. Physically, it seems like you've found maintenance, but the mental shift into a break may help. In maintenance now, I do lose my mojo to be active some days, but habit works wonders. If I promise myself to do just 10 mimutes of a typical 30 or 60 minute workout, I find myself "accidentally" going the full mile. I can't stop once I started. On ths rare occasion that even habit can't help, I let it go and get back on track the next day. Also, it helps to change pace. Perhaps finish up your current workout program and then move onto a new routine.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    If your exercise regimen was only something you could only stick to for 5 weeks... it's not sustainable for you and you should look for something else, that you actually enjoy, and that you will stick to.

I can't really help though because for me exercising is 100x easier than restricting food.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @Piqueaboo The idea of a diet break follows from observed adaptations to a prolonged calorie deficit. That is, your NEAT declines when you impose a famine. If your famine condition is similar to 'a deficit of 500 calories per day for 8 weeks', then 1 week of eating at maintenance is enough to convince your body that the famine is ended and your adaptations will reverse. Your NEAT rises. It's also been observed that persons who take a diet break can easily re-enter the dieting plan because they retain control of the plan. So, you stay in control of your plan. Take your break because you need to, but I suggest that if your daily deficit has been less severe than 500 calories per day, you don't really need a whole week of maintenance to end your famine.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I kinda got into a funk at about the 12 month mark. I was exercising regularly - but the same things: treadmill, walks, yoga. Logging was getting tiresome. So I decided to really shake things up by adding a new workout - something totally different and new, and something I'd never imagined myself doing: boxing. Well, I LOVE it. It has given me new confidence and inspiration and motivation. Maybe thinking outside of "the box" may help you?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Piqueaboo wrote: »

I check in every so often, but MFP has not yet adjusted the calories - I'm still in the "overweight" BMI so i think that's why. I have also not taken any breaks (or even thought about it), it is a really good idea - you mean like eating at maintenance for a few weeks and see how that goes?

Yes as mentioned by @JeromeBarry1 if you've been in a deficit for some time, your metabolism can start to adapt to the reduced intake. I've taken a couple of weeks here and there sometimes intentionally - like Christmas, sometimes unintentionally - like when I am travelling. Everytime I started back on the deficit I've had a big whoosh and as mentioned above it's good practice for when you do move into maintenance long term.

What I mean by reviewing your calorie goal is considered dropping down the rate if you had it set at a particularly fast rate of loss? If you had it set to 2lb per week, consider dropping it to 1-1.5lb per week.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    As for exercise, I'm of the opinion that anything is better than nothing. You can cut back (even way back) on exercise if you feel you need that, but keeping the habit of staying active is important. I would also personally do poorly with video exercises because they're too repetitive and don't have a goal. I find myself doing better with two types of exercise, it has to be something that is completely random where the goal is just to "go on a hike", for example, without any rigid structure, and the second type is something that has specific progression goals that make me feel like I achieved something new each time, like a progressive running plan. I don't do well with group and social exercise activities, but some people do, so consider trying all kinds of things to see if you can find what feels like it would be something you're interested in doing long term.

As for breaks, I have taken a few. The longest lasted about 7 months which is longer than most people, but it was worth it! It gave me confidence that maintenance is attainable and not as scary as I thought. I can't just totally let go of food control, but at the same time I wasn't struggling like I imagined I would. Such a mood and confidence booster when you see your future happening right there, and know it's not just a wishful dream.
  • Piqueaboo
    Options
    Guys, thank you so much for all this advice, it's really helpful. I'm going to take a "break" and adjust my calories to a less aggressive loss, and exercise but without putting myself under pressure to complete it, but rather just "getting through the front door" if you know what I mean. I'll do that for a few weeks and then come back to reevaluate. Also @cbstewart88 boxing is something I always wanted to try out, maybe I should go out and see if I can find a club or group who do it in the area - it's an awesome sport!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. I'll be interested in your experience.

I'm considering taking a maintenance break for the month of June. I've been at it for 7 months now and have plans that month that will make it harder to stick to my deficit. Rather than stress about it, I'll give maintenance a try, and get back on it in July.
  • Piqueaboo
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    Sounds like a good plan. I'll be interested in your experience.

I'm considering taking a maintenance break for the month of June. I've been at it for 7 months now and have plans that month that will make it harder to stick to my deficit. Rather than stress about it, I'll give maintenance a try, and get back on it in July.

Everyone above is consistent in saying that a break will help, so I trust that, especially since everyone has been around for a while (post numbers) and it's constructive rather than how it goes in some other threads haha! It can't hurt, above all! Better than the limbo that I'm in right now.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    ... exercise but without putting myself under pressure to complete it, but rather just "getting through the front door" if you know what I mean.

Yup! And 100% with you on this - my phrase is "just show up." Getting started is often the hardest part!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    Not ridiculous. I spend a lot of time looking at WL boards. Lots of goofy stuff, but frequently flashes of brilliance.

Just my opinion but there's the law of diminishing returns aspect to WL. Whatever your initial motivations, likely you've gotten a lot of benefits. Accept that from here you will likely be doing more for less.

Not a fan of breaks. What I think you need is consolidation. You need a plan to not gain back.

Then you need a moderate calorie deficit to get you to your goal. Seems like you were moving pretty fast. Meal planning and prep is your new normal. Track every bite.

Forget the good old days of feel good motivation and melt away lbs. Determination gets you to your goal. Motivation is overrated. I wish this board had a different name.
  • Piqueaboo
    Options
    Guys, it worked - thank you all so much!!! Finally broke through this morning!
  • fizzfizz
    fizzfizz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yay Piqueaboo! Reading this for inspiration and great to hear the tips here helped :)