Is something wrong with my heart rate monitor?

Options
Here's the deal. According to my HRM, I burned 1088 calories last week doing Yoga X. 2 days ago, I adjusted my weight on the HRM for accurate readings. I dropped the weight from 224 lbs to 217. I admit I didn't hit Yoga X all that hard today but I did do all 93 minutes. However, it's reading that I only burned 652 calories. Now I may not have worked as hard as I did last week, but certainly didn't mess around and only do 60% of it. Has anyone else had this experience with a HRM? By the way, its a polar FT4. Looking forward to responses.

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Is it a class where other people could be wearing a polar? the FT4 I believe can be "contaminated" with others around. Only thing I can think of.. good luck! also, sometimes with my F6 if my bra gets in the way of the chest strap it can't read my heart rate and doesn't calculate for however long it's interrupted.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If you didnt push it as hard you might not have gotten your HR as high, and that makes a huge difference in calories burned
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The 653 sounds accurate and as you get more fit and weigh less you will burn less calories performing the same exercises, and you mentioned you took it easier so all 3 combined may have made that much of a difference. Lower weight, more fit, and not working as hard would cause you to burn significantly less calories
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I too have a Polar F4 and it's coded so it shouldn't interact with anyone else's. I've noticed (and this will sound very strange) that when I wear a certain sports bra it keeps dropping my heart rate. While it's the opposite issue you're having, I have experienced a glitch or two with the F4. I'd see what the next workout looks like. Meanwhile today, log the lower number so you don't overeat your exercise calories.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You burn less as you weigh less and get in better shape. Couple that with not working as hard - sounds about right to me.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    Since a HRM isn't really desgined for yoga in the first place, you're probably better off using the lower numbers....either way you are using a figure over 600 cals like Tony says you will burn during his exercises (and im skeptical of). Before I replaced yoga X with HIIT running, I would record around 400 just to make extra sure.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    The 653 sounds accurate and as you get more fit and weigh less you will burn less calories performing the same exercises, and you mentioned you took it easier so all 3 combined may have made that much of a difference. Lower weight, more fit, and not working as hard would cause you to burn significantly less calories

I agree that 653 sounds more like what you would burn doing that work out.
  • p90xokc
    p90xokc Posts: 66
    Options
    Thank you to all of you, and it's not interfering with other hrm's. I work out in my living room.
  • healthym0m
    healthym0m Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is true or not, but somone on the Beachbody message boards said that HR monitors are only accurate for cardio activities. My Polar F 4 shows I burn around 700 on some of my strength days but only 500 doing plyo. Doesn't seem to make sense to me, so perhaps the accuracy only for cardio is true.
    By the way, nice to see another P90Xer here!
  • beckbeck
    beckbeck Posts: 31
    Options
    I seriously don't mean to hijak this thread, and someone can message me if you would rather, but as long as I have a lot of you P90X-ers here, I've been wanting to ask:

When your heart rate monitor says that you have burned, say 600 calories, is that 600 above and beyond the calories that you would have burned in the same amount of time, just sitting and relaxing? Or do I need to find my baseline just sitting and then subtract that from the 600 calories the monitor says I burned while working out?

I ask because it seems like since I got my monitor (and started entering WAY more calories burned than the site says activities burn), I'm not seeing the weight come off as much! I've been eating my exercise calories. Maybe I am not really burning that many?

Again, sorry to hijak. Please message me? Thank you!!