For people over 20

Options
2»

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'd love to do my life over and be selfish as a young person.

Live just for me. Not step on anyone else or be a tyrant or a jerk or anything, but go to work for me. Do just my laundry. Wipe just my own leavings out of the toilet bowl. Eat lunch when I wanted to eat lunch and have that lunch be something I wanted, and not have to feed someone else first. Watch what I wanted on TV. Save money so I could go on vacation where I wanted to go.

Living your life for every other damned person except yourself is supposed to "build character" and blah-blah but as I see things, all it does is reinforce how you really don't count...ever. Other people do. All the time. So I feel for balance, within the boundaries of self-responsibility (as I described above), EVERY young person should be lucky enough to at least have a few years that describe the above. If I could go back to 20 that's what I'd do, at least for a few years, to have that experience underneath me. To know what the hell *I* actually wanted...not what it was okay for me to want, per others' parameters, and after everyone else had what they wanted first. When you live life as the latter you never, ever do learn what you want. You just never know...even when you go back later and try. That's not character-building. It's enforced, useless martyrdom and there's NO character involved because who are "you" in this scenario?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    LVNF04 wrote: »
    What would you change differently if you could go back and be 20 years old again?

Travel more, be less afraid to pursue what I want, including women, follow my gut more than my logic and buy more Apple stock.