Headache after 10K

Options
zamphir66
zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
So I've reached the 10K distance now. Yay! Only problem is, I get a mild to moderate headache that sort of lingers the rest of the day whenever I run that distance. I am pretty sure it's hydration, but then my question is -- do I need to "pre-load" some water? Take water with me (I normally don't drink during a run)? Deliberately drink more afterwards? All three?

OR ... could there be something else going on? I honestly feel like I drink enough.

ETA: On a normal day I might drink about 2.5 to 3 liters; Today will be closer to 4 I think.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How long is 10k taking you? You shouldn't need to take water with you unless it's particularly hot where you run?

Try a drink with electrolytes after you run?
  • zamphir66
    Options
    Right about an hour.
  • sstini55
    sstini55 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I chew a couple of salt stick electrolytes as soon as I'm done running and that helps me. Sometimes I have one before a run too. I don't like the taste of Gatorade so I only drink water.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have the exact same problem, except for me it's longer runs that cause it, anything ten miles and over I get a headache that will not go away for the rest of the day. I thought it was a hydration thing, so I got a hydration pack to wear and on my last long run I made sure I kept drinking, but still I ended up with a headache. Now I've got some electrolyte tablets so I will try those and see if that stops the headache next time I do a long run. It's really annoying!

(Edit for spelling)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    How hot is it? Are you wearing a hat?

If you're drinking 2.5 to 3 litres of water on average I don't think hydration should be an issue, it could be electrolytes if you're not getting enough salt & potassium etc in your diet. You may also be one of those unfortunate individuals who just gets headaches as a result of the dilation of blood vessels that results from running. (How quickly did you build up to 10k?)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth trying electrolytes and a little sugar, essentially something like Gatorade (which I find too sweet).
  • nietssemaj
    nietssemaj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try taking water with you and drinking a little on your run. It helped me with dizziness and headaches when I was doing triathlons.

I'd 'carry' 2 10oz bottles on a fuel belt for a 10k. I'd set timers to buzz my watch to remind me to drink a little every 10 minutes.. I'm not talking guzzling but a mouth full and that's it.

It may help you.. it certainly won't hurt.
  • zamphir66
    Options
    I used to drink gatorade/sports drinks a lot but don't anymore. I will add that in on running days and report my results.