Does miracle noodle taste any good? (shirataki noodles)

Options
Geocitiesuser
Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
I tried quest nutrition's brand a while back and thought they were absolutely aweful, tasted like dead rotten fish to me. But the other day I picked up some nosoya brand shirataki from walmart and turns out.... I love them!

Amazon sells cases of miraclenoodle brand shirataki noodles, and I was hoping someone who has tried multiple brands can chime in. I'd also be open to other brands I can have shipped, particularly if there are dry versions.

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Several recent prior threads on this. Search for them for additional info.

I tried them once. Followed the instructions which said to rinse and parboil them b4 cooking. No smell or off taste often complained about when I did that.

Just too expensive IMO to justify their use in my diet. I get along fine w/o them.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of a dry version. That doesn't mean there isn't one. I find that they work great in Asian noodle recipes. Italian pasta, not so much.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    This is the only brand I eat. It is delicious.jb8now9l8i28.jpeg
  • HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've tried shirataki noodles (tofu version, a little more calories, but not by a lot), and they didn't taste like anything to be. I didn't get that "dead fish" smell or taste that everyone talks about. I would maybe compare them to rice noodles. Great on calories, but not worth the price for me.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    This is the only brand I eat. It is delicious.jb8now9l8i28.jpeg

Interesting. Will look for and try if I can...

@Geocitiesuser no! They're gross. I felt like I was chewing on raw/live octopus tentacles. There was little taste to me or smell but the consistency was gross...
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I buy them at the local Asian grocery stores (H Mart, Hannam Chain Market World). I'm not sure of the brand I buy, but they're about $1 per bag. I like them. I'd tried them in the past and thought they were like chewing rubber erasers. Then I figured out that you have to dry fry them for a few minutes after you rinse them very well.

After you dry fry, add sauces/seasonings or add them to soups or casseroles. Also, if you cook them with a recipe in the crockpot, it completely changes their texture and makes them much better.

I love them now for a quick snack or meal. My two favorite ways are with some peanut powder and soy sauce, or else with shredded cabbage, Laughing Cow, Parmesan and a little chicken and chicken broth for a cheesy noodle dish.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    oh. my. lord. I can use PB2 to make lower calorie peanut sauce. You just blew my mind up into a thousand little pieces. Agreed about the pan frying. Changes the texture almost completely and makes them a lot less gelatinous.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I used to only buy traditional Japanese shirataki without tofu. I've been buying the tofu ones like House Foods though. They are all fine. You just have to dry fry them no matter what the directions say on back. Moisture is not their friend.

I like to buy the macaroni ones and make mac and cheese with laughing cow, a meat, and sometimes some nutritional yeast.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I don't have to pan fry the Better Than brand of noodles. I give them a quick rinse, dry them with paper towels, and heat them in the microwave. Then I use whatever sauce I want with them. They aren't gelatinous at all.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Just stir-fried a bag tonight with a load of veggies, some Sol imitation chicken strips and some Szechuan sauce. Came out well.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I never tasted any funky taste, but I found the texture off putting. Even after boiling per instructions and cooking in a pan, it was still very, very chewy and hard to swallow.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Ok about to start my shift so this will be fast.

Dump noodles on strainer and rinse with hot water to remove fish smell.
    Put in pot and boil for a few minutes.
    Dump into on and dry fry to remove excess moisture.
    Then use as desired. I like making Italian style pastas as well as of Thai.
  • dewolfe001
    dewolfe001 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tried quest nutrition's brand a while back and thought they were absolutely aweful, tasted like dead rotten fish to me. But the other day I picked up some nosoya brand shirataki from walmart and turns out.... I love them!

Amazon sells cases of miraclenoodle brand shirataki noodles, and I was hoping someone who has tried multiple brands can chime in. I'd also be open to other brands I can have shipped, particularly if there are dry versions.

I would say, "kinda"
    I usually rinse them like crazy as the liquid medium is really nasty. Tonight, I mixed them with a spiralized zucchini to replace pasta and the result was great as the zucchini and shirataki noodles broke up the monotony of either one.
    I started using them again recently because of those annoying "lose belly fat" ads. The "secret" is a active ingredient in shirataki noodles. Rather than buy the pills, I thought I'd just use the noodles.

- Shawn
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Best way I've prepared was rinsing very well pat dry and cook on pan into stir fry. They weren't great but they were tolerable. I don't think they are that good at all. I prefer spiralized veggies by FAR to them.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    They have no taste really. Its more the matter of texture, some people tolerate this some dont. I actually like them and use them if I find that using real pasta will make the dish bring in too many calories. But they really give you nothing, empty food. Maybe try using zucchini, sweet potato or squash noodles (make these using spiralizer) or you can but these now premade.

This. The fact that they are pure fibre (the original noodles not the tofu added kind) is what I love about them. I love huge pasta dishes, so this is a great way to have a big bowl of noodles without blowing all your calories. You can load up on meat, sauce, veggies and cheese because the pasta portion is a total freebie.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    This has been a great thread, thank you everyone. I'm going to bite the bullet. I'm going to hold off on buying a case on the internet and stick with the nosoya brand from walmart since I tried it and know I like it, you've all given me great ideas for ways to cook it though. PB2+Soy+ginger+chicken+mushrooms will be in my very near future.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I greatly dislike them, but for me it's a texture thing. No matter what has been tried, I simply can not do it.

Instead, I just make sure to have lots of vegetables with whatever sort of pasta I am having. Then I won't overeat the higher calorie pasta part of the meal.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have had the Pasta Zero Nasoya brand and I love them. They are gluten free and great for home made ramen YUM!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I've used a couple of brands available at Whole Foods, haven't noticed a bunch of difference. Personally, I find them very pleasant with any Asian dish meant to be served over rice noodles or egg noodles - I made a really good dan dan noodle, sesame noodle, etc with them.

I think they're not tolerable with cuisines that use semolina pasta - texture and taste is completely different and throws the whole thing off in my opinion. Plus, sauce does not stick to the noodle like it would with the semolina pasta.