Summer schedule options?

I know I don't have the best reputation on these threads bit I want some real advice on a schedule I can use. I leave my house at 7am get to work at 8:30 and am there until 5:30 then get home at 7. What time would you eat what meals to stay full during the day. Also, some easy meals or tips on bringing meals on the go ? Thank you in advance !

Replies

• juliehmaui2016
    juliehmaui2016 Posts: 32 Member
    You could perhaps meal replace with a protein shake that has frozen fruit, greens and almond milk added. I use them and I add a couple of snacks and that does me for the morning till dinner. Good luck.
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    LahrysaTebo2015 Posts: 197 Member
    You could perhaps meal replace with a protein shake that has frozen fruit, greens and almond milk added. I use them and I add a couple of snacks and that does me for the morning till dinner. Good luck.

I forgot to add that I can eat whenever I want during the day, no time restrictions! I'll definitely use the protein shake idea for my way to work though ! Thank you
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Meal timing and macros takes trial and effort. What works for one person, will not work for another.

For example, I'm a grazer. I hate filling meals so I graze/snack all day while watching my protein levels. So it's going to take trial and error on your part. But protein is considered the filling macro. So keeping meals higher in protein will keep you satiated longer.
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Meal timing and macros takes trial and effort. What works for one person, will not work for another.

For example, I'm a grazer. I hate filling meals so I graze/snack all day while watching my protein levels. So it's going to take trial and error on your part. But protein is considered the filling macro. So keeping meals higher in protein will keep you satiated longer.

I'm the same way! I would rather snack then eat a full meal because I can never finish a meal. I'll try it a few days before I start my new job so I make sure I bring enough food and won't be hungry ! Thank you!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I know I don't have the best reputation on these threads bit I want some real advice on a schedule I can use. I leave my house at 7am get to work at 8:30 and am there until 5:30 then get home at 7. What time would you eat what meals to stay full during the day. Also, some easy meals or tips on bringing meals on the go ? Thank you in advance !

Food timing is really personal. Try something and see -- are you hungry in the morning? Do you like snacking/grazing or fewer/larger meals. I hate snacking/eating lots of mini meals or the like, makes me feel unsatisfied and like I never had a real meal. I'd be fine on 2-3 meals but find 3 easier to get protein and veg in, and enjoy eating in the morning. You should think about what your preferences are and then experiment if you find you are hungry.

Normally I get up at 5-ish, run immediately if I am working out in the morning, and eat around 6:30 (6 if I don't run). I have lunch around noon, and eat (I get home late) around 9. I don't snack. With your schedule I'd probably eat earlier (unless you workout after you get home), but otherwise do the same.
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Food timing is really personal. Try something and see -- are you hungry in the morning? Do you like snacking/grazing or fewer/larger meals. I hate snacking/eating lots of mini meals or the like, makes me feel unsatisfied and like I never had a real meal. I'd be fine on 2-3 meals but find 3 easier to get protein and veg in, and enjoy eating in the morning. You should think about what your preferences are and then experiment if you find you are hungry.

Normally I get up at 5-ish, run immediately if I am working out in the morning, and eat around 6:30 (6 if I don't run). I have lunch around noon, and eat (I get home late) around 9. I don't snack. With your schedule I'd probably eat earlier (unless you workout after you get home), but otherwise do the same.

I'm hoping to find a gym out near my job so I can work out when I leave work. Thanks for the input !
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I found that same thing really helpful too.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Eat 5 smaller meals.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,080 Member
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Eat 5 smaller meals.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Food timing is really personal.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    As someone else said, food timing is really personal. I do best controlling my intake, for example, if I hold off eating until 2:00 or 3:00. I'm not really hungry until then. I go to bed fairly early, so I have a fairly short "window" during which I eat fairly frequently.

I get up at 5:00 every morning and run or walk every day and workout after that 3 days a week. That helps blunt my appetite, but you might like to eat first thing and find that helps keep you from eating more.

Experiment and see. You might be a grazer, you might find 3 square meals a day suits you best.

I did find waking up early before having to start the day (I homeschool my youngest) helped me find time to exercise when I most felt like it. I tend to lose motivation later in the day, but this is something that's individual too. My husband is not a morning person and does best exercising late (after work and dinner), often after I've gone to bed!

You'll find through trial and error which patterns of eating and exercise work best for you. I think it's something we've all had to go through.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited May 2017
    I get up at 5:30 and leave for work at 7. I drink a protein shake when I get there. I bring a few 33 oz bottles of ice tea with me. Along with a Pyrex or two of frozen veggies/protein. Sometimes I add a little potato or beans. I also have a couple of cases (cheaper that way) of Quest protein chips under my desk, and I keep pre-portioned nuts, cheese and hard-boiled eggs in my fridge. I also have various protein bars.

I work out after work pretty much every day. Or during work if I have evening events.

My schedule can get away from me during the day. Smaller meals work well for me. I don't have a lot of time between meetings most days. I don't need a lot to fill up. And I need to be able to eat and go. Yogurt is usually fruit and yogurt. Sometimes Halo Top or Enlightened ice cream.

My weekend eating habits are generally the opposite.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    As other people have said, experiment for what works for you. I use a combo of the small meals/large meals approach. I have two small meals in the morning at around 630 and 9, then a bigger lunch and normal dinner. I work out after work and found that an afternoon snack was sitting in my stomach heavy when I was running, so a bigger lunch and no snack is working for me at the moment.

There is no one approach that works best, but I've found that prepping gets easier with practice.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    What works for you: may not work for someone else. It may take a bit of trial and error to figure out how to keep yourself full on the # of calories you aim for.

Personally on M-F I'm out of the house around 6am. I have a snack of cheese on the way to work, and once I'm at work I eat an English muffin, banana, and a couple ounces of ham. That combined is between 8-10am, typically. I often walk at lunch, so then eat lunch around 1pm. Typical is a salad and frozen meal or salad and chili or soup, or a Subway sandwich w/ chips, or leftovers from dinner. I usually have a snack late afternoon, something around 200-250 calories that is a combination of macros. Such as apple slices, peanut butter and nuts. Or chips and salsa, or buffalo chicken spread on crackers. Then dinner around 7-8pm.

If I eat a big lunch (something like take out from Long Horn with a meat, rice, veggie side) then I may not feel the need to snack in the afternoon. But in that situation, I need to eat an earlier dinner.

Different scenario, on Saturday/Sunday I tend to eat a bigger breakfast at one sitting (scrambled eggs, bowl of grits, raisin toast, tomotoe slices) and then I don't feel the need to snack/graze.
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    If you work a job where you have desk drawers and even a fridge, life can be amazing. The desk drawers allow quick snack storage like nuts, etc., and the fridge opens up even more possibilities. Having healthy, quick snacks in my drawer keeps me from eating out as I work downtown and food is EVERYWHERE!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    You have to experiment and see what works for you.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    I agree with what everyone else said (find what works for you), but I am also a big fan of going with the flow.

Some days I might eat two big meals, other days three, some days I snack all day. It just depends on how I am feeling that day. I also move lunch up or down depending on how hungry I am. I usually prelog my food, but I will often switch around food items to different meals or change something out for something else.