Is my TDEE really this low?

Options
SazFour
SazFour Posts: 20 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question!

I calculated my TDEE based on the calories I have eaten and the weight I've lost in the last month (including bad days) and it's 1577.5. I always thought it would be more like 1700-1800 like mfp calculates.

Even adding on 1000 in case I got things wrong here and there only brings it to 1613. If it's that low now I don't want to know what it'll be when I get to my goal!

Other details:
Female 18 SW: 206 CW: 140 GW: 126 [Edit] height: 5'6
~ I lost 2.4lbs in the last month and for the past few months

I don't work out but I also don't sit around all day (well not every day ~ I can go from really active to doing absolutely nothing)

Also I weigh everything on a food scale

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You could try using this TDEE calc to double-check: http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

Calorie counting will always have little inaccuracies that will throw things off, so trying to figure out your TDEE just from logging for a month and looking at your weight loss results may be fairly inaccurate.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    SazFour wrote: »

I calculated my TDEE based on the calories I have eaten and the weight I've lost in the last month (including bad days) and it's 1577.5. I always thought it would be more like 1700-1800 like mfp calculates.

Even adding on 1000 in case I got things wrong here and there only brings it to 1613. If it's that low now I don't want to know what it'll be when I get to my goal!

Other details:

I don't work out but I also don't sit around all day (well not every day ~ I can go from really active to doing absolutely nothing)

So how many calories have you been eating in the last month?
  • SazFour
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    You could try using this TDEE calc to double-check: http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

Calorie counting will always have little inaccuracies that will throw things off, so trying to figure out your TDEE just from logging for a month and looking at your weight loss results may be fairly inaccurate.

Thanks I'll try that! I thought it would be accurate since I lost the same weight a few months in a row
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Definitely seems possible, althought i'm more inclined to say that your food intake it probably off by a smidge so 1577 isn't probably 100% accurate.

But on my sedentary days (like 2,000-3,000 steps) i maintain on about 1550 calories or so and i'm 5'4, 118 lbs. If i'm active (8,000+ steps) I maintain on 1,800-ish and if i have a weight lifting session that number is closer to 2,100.

So, i'm guessing i would try and increase my non-exercise activity here and there because you'll want to be able to maintain your goal weight once you reach it. I would also think about ways to incorporate exercise that burns enough calories for it to be worth it. :)
  • SazFour
    Options

Aiming for 1200 but my average is 1280
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Aiming for 1200 but my average is 1280

Sounds about right then.

Look like you need to get your steps up if you want some extra cals.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Thanks I'll try that! I thought it would be accurate since I lost the same weight a few months in a row

A calculator is kind of pointless at this stage because you have your own data, which you have correctly used, to get a more accurate number.

But your goal weight if sedentary doesn't call for a lot of calories to maintain. As above, I'd really think about long term success and try and incorporate more activity, whether that's just getting more steps in each day or starting to add in exercise.
  • SazFour
    Options

Sounds about right then.

Damn. I set MFP to sedentary to lose 1lb per week and it says I can eat 1290

I probably should exercise more though, thanks! It's not really the extra calories that I want just the weight gone (+ I hate exercise)
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Sounds about right then.

I probably should exercise more though, thanks! It's not really the extra calories that I want just the weight gone (+ I hate exercise)

But you have your own data based off what you're eating and what the scales are doing, calculators aren't going to change that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You could still be eating more than you think from inaccurate calories on packages etc... but yeah, activity is key.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Sounds about right then.

I trust your data vs MFP because even IF there is discrepancies/mistakes in logging they have been consistent discrepancies so they will likely continue lol so log the same if you want to lose the same... and up activity if you can. Do you have a step counter? I think that would help. It definitely helped me when I got my FitBit. I realized I was VERY sedentary and now I'm averaging 11000 steps per day which is considered active, almost very active. I can eat 1600-2000 and lose weight vs 1200-1500.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    It absolutely can be that low. On a workday when I don't actually do much -- so I just walk to work and back -- I'll burn (so, my TDEE) in the ballpark of 1575. I'm a little shorter than you, and 20 pounds lighter -- but again, that TDEE includes walking half a mile to and from work. So I could see it being lower if I didn't have that walk.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Sounds about right then.

It's not just exercise. Add routine activity too.
    Walk to your local shops, take the stairs when you can, don't sit in front of the telly when you can potter around the garden. It all adds up and builds healthy habits.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Other details:

Possibly. HOWEVER, I would say that you might have something in your regular diet which has an inaccurate nutritional label. I was buying this frozen breaded chicken and it was not the calories it said it was. When I switched to another brand my weight loss was a lot closer to where it should have been. If you've got some item that you eat fairly often, check nutritional labels of similar items and see if the one you are eating is quite different.

I use trendweight to do the same sort of thing you're doing. When I eat at a 1000 calorie deficit according to my fitbit data, I've only got an actual deficit of around 700 calories or so, varies by the week.

1577 makes sense for a couple reasons. A lot of people who start out obese and lose more than 10% of their body weight experience a TDEE that is around 25% less than it should be. I can't find the medical journal it was in. But, if you're curious I will hunt it down.

Your TDEE isn't as bad as that. If you setup your MFP for sedentary, your TDEE should be around 1718, which makes your TDEE only around 8% less than what it should be, I believe. (sorry, rushed through the math. ) If that 8% holds, you are looking at a TDEE of around 1480 or so at your goal weight. So, the worst has already happened, it's only going to get marginally worse. (See, there's a bright side! :))

Additionally, when you get to the point where you are eating at maintenance, you can play around with your intake a bit; have a higher day, then a lower day, change it up a bit to possibly trick your body into a slightly higher TDEE.

I've regained my weight, (laid off in 2008, gained everything back in three months that I'd kept off for 10 years) but, I remember back when I was hitting maintenance. I want to say I was at maintenance for close to 6 months before I was back to more normal TDEE.

If you aren't too upset with where you are at, you could always try having just enough deficit for a lb of loss a month to try to get your body to nudge your TDEE up a bit. Even a couple months closer to maintenance might bump it up a bit. But, it might be hard to get back into a weight loss frame of mind. So, you've really got to go with your instincts there. :)

Additionally, a bit of added consistent activity can make that a lot more bearable and give you back a few more calories to eat.

Just some thoughts. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

I don't understand this. If an online calculator says OP's TDEE is higher than OP's own logging data says it is, does anybody think OP will see better results basing daily calorie goal on the higher number from the online calculator? Increasing calories, barring increased activity, does not increase weight loss. OP's TDEE is what it is, and logging is going to give OP the best information on what she (assuming gender based on low TDEE) can eat and stay within that. Even if logging is inaccurate, eating more because an online calculator says it's OK isn't going to get better results.

Unless OP has some reason, outside pursuing and achieving goals related to weight loss and maintenance, for knowing her TDEE, I don't see the point of using an online calculator instead of her own data.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,930 Member
    Options
    If you are looking at a short amount of time and you're estimating Calories based on 3500 Cal = 1lb you can easily have inaccuracies that will create problems for your numbers.

Suggestions:

Look at your weight trend through a trending weight app or web site and calculate based on that trend as opposed to your scale weight.

Do multiple calculations for periods of 10, 20, 30, 45, 60 days and bracket them by changing the start days by one or two days to get a better sense of what your actual average is over time.

When you do decide on what your TDEE is, don't resign yourself to only eating that from now to forever. To begin with there is a high likelihood that when you're trying to lose weight your TDEE is slightly depressed as compared to when you would be trying to maintain weight.

When you get to maintenance try to bump up that calculated TDEE by 100 Cal at a time till you see a clear long term gain in your trending weight app and then back off enough to make things even.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Other details:

It seems to me that what you calculated is probably right. MFP assumes some activity, but most people are far less active than they should be.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I agree that a month isn't long enough. My actual maintenance, calculated across ~15 months in the same 10-pound range, is 2,100 + intentional exercise. I've had months where the same calculation was as low as 1,850 and as high as 2,500. I've even had a three month period averaging under 1,900.

I'm 5'3, 43, desk job, and started at 195. 2,100 works for me at weights in the 150s; I haven't maintained for a long enough period to say for any other range.