Alternative for Bread

Options
jferris91
jferris91 Posts: 271 Member
What do you use as an alternative to bread. I have done tortillas but they are almost as bad as bread. I am looking for some type of alternative that I could use for my lunch meat.

Replies

• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    When you say "bad" do you mean texture, taste, or nutrition value?

My regular bread alternatives are reduced calorie whole grain or rye breads, 90 calorie Hawaiian rolls, Trader Joes Artisan rolls for about 110 calories each or low carb flatbreads, tortillas and wraps.

Or if you want a no carb/ no grain options try lettuce wraps or cloud bread recipes. Hope this is what you're looking for.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I just reduce how often I eat it.
  • jferris91
    Options

My regular bread alternatives are reduced calorie whole grain or rye breads, 90 calorie Hawaiian rolls, Trader Joes Artisan rolls for about 110 calories each or low carb flatbreads, tortillas and wraps.

Or if you want a no carb/ no grain options try lettuce wraps or cloud bread recipes. Hope this is what you're looking for.

yes bad as in nutritional
  • Stravides
    Stravides Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tend to make gram flour breads - very simple - gram flour and water - chuck some Coriander leaf and chilli seeds in - make the batter very runny and cook in a pan until either crispy or just under - (turn over once). very flavoursome - only uses small amount of gram flour too - (Chickpea flour).
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I often use a Romain or Butter lettuce leaf. It makes a great alternative!
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    jferris91 wrote: »

Pinterest no carb or no grain bread options?
  • Fataf99
    Fataf99 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    add 2 eggs to 400g of whey isolate and slow cook in the oven for 45 mins.

almost exactly like bread but almost all protien
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I've seen and actually try to slice some cucumbers lengthwise and put some cream cheese and lunch meat in the center or just roll up your lunch meat or lettuce wraps, depending on what you're doing.
  • suryoyo85
    suryoyo85 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps are the way to go!!
    Been doing that for the past 6 months
    Awesome
    U can Lettuce wrap deli, hamburgers , tuna salad etc
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    What's bad about bread nutritionally? And why do you need a substitute?

I have celiac disease and roll cold cuts and cheese up and eat them with a fork a lot of the time. A lettuce wrap also works. But sometimes I just want a sandwich and I eat GF bread. It's expensive though so I don't buy it often.
  • jferris91
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What's bad about it?

High sodium
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What's bad about it?

High sodium

Do you have to watch sodium intake for medical reasons? You could bake your own bread.
  • BellaKallfelz
    BellaKallfelz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can use wholemeal bread. There is low sodium compared to white bread.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    MacLean12 wrote: »
    add 2 eggs to 400g of whey isolate and slow cook in the oven for 45 mins.

almost exactly like bread but almost all protien

That is nothing like the lovely crispy tiger rolls I eat smothered in butter. You need a better baker.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat less bread, and there are many reason that you may choose to or not that's just personal choice.

Then I'd think beyond a sandwich for lunch and look at what else you could be eating.

If you have access to a microwave (and the spare calories) leftovers could be an option.

Homemade, soups can be very nutritionally dense and lower calorie (or higher if that's what you want).

A salad box is a solid options and you can go way beyond a limp lettuce leaf with various shredded raw veg under your protein.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What do you use as an alternative to bread.

Bread isn't "bad" but I rarely eat it, because for me it's not worth the calories (never been a bread person).

I don't consume "alternatives," though. I just don't use bread. For example, instead of a turkey sandwich I pack turkey and vegetables and whatever else I want to fill out the meal.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The teaspoon of salt I include in my home made bread is critical to making a fluffy, chewy, lofty loaf. That is one teaspoon salt to two cups flour. Surely that is not high salt.