IIFYM : Are my macros correct???

Options
Hey guys I just switched to flexible dieting and wanted to make sure my macros were correct. I'm 24, 5'11" , and I lift 5-6 days a week and do cardio 3 of those days, and I set it up for a 15% cut. My IIFYM calculator numbers were : Protein 143 g , Fat 70 g, and carbs 207g. I also did the donut method and got protein 153g, fat 67g, and carbs 260 g. Do either of these sound right?

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I personally find it hard to eat that much protein. I also don't think overeating protein accomplishes anything (and can be unhealthy in the extreme). I suggest at most 30% of calories from protein. (Yes, people will disagree and I am no expert, just an opinion.)

More important is the carb/fat ratio. If you do a lot of cardio, you need more carbs. If you are a weightlifter only, you can go lower on carbs, perhaps down to 10% for short periods, drinking electrolyte fluids (eating low-carb is a diuretic). That means you would be eating higher fat, which should be high quality type, olive oil, cheese, butter, coconut, but not crappy trans fats. Monitor energy levels and eat more carbs if you need them.

A 15% calorie deficit from a maintenance level is entirely reasonable.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I just set my diary up for IIFYM this morning. I am doing the 40/30/30 split. The one thing I think I am going to have trouble with is finding the right foods to eat. It seems like it will take far more pre-planning than simple CICO. If I am already at the limit for fat, but not even close on protein, I have to find some food that is high in protein but low in fat. Not a lot of options there. Cottage cheese and other cheese is out. So is steak and perhaps chicken. Might be able to eat some fish. It just seems with IIFYM I need to have far more foods in the fridge and pantry in order to find what I need and make it all fit at the end of the day?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    taziarj wrote: »
    I just set my diary up for IIFYM this morning. I am doing the 40/30/30 split. The one thing I think I am going to have trouble with is finding the right foods to eat. It seems like it will take far more pre-planning than simple CICO. If I am already at the limit for fat, but not even close on protein, I have to find some food that is high in protein but low in fat. Not a lot of options there. Cottage cheese and other cheese is out. So is steak and perhaps chicken. Might be able to eat some fish. It just seems with IIFYM I need to have far more foods in the fridge and pantry in order to find what I need and make it all fit at the end of the day?

There are plenty of low fat high protien foods.

Lean meat, fish, egg whites, low fat dairy, beans/legumes, protein powder.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Here's a great guide for setting up your macros/making sure what you have is in the ballpark: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • RASCHOON
    RASCHOON Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me, protein is the easiest to get...a protein shake helps greatly. I have a ton of trouble getting my 220C and 70F each day.