Weight loss alternating with inches lost?

Options
Niki_Fitz
Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm fairly new here and could us some insight. I seem to alternate weeks when I lose inches and feel stronger in my workouts with no weight lost, and I have weeks when I lose weight a little more steadily. Is my this a natural recomposition happening? I have never formally tried to do this and don't particularly want to, I just want to maintain a small deficit, focus on protein intake, and enjoy my exercise. I used to lift weights and be a smaller, stronger 138lbs than my 138 post-baby. I'm trying to get back to my former maintenance weight of 130. Does this cycle of lose weight then change shape seem ok to those who know more about body recomposition?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Are you eating at maintenance or in a deficit?

If you're in maintenance, and training properly, the recomposition will come. If you're in a deficit, weight loss is not linear, so you will have weeks when you won't lose. You will also have weeks when you feel stronger whether you're in a deficit, surplus, OR maintenance, based on a lot of factors-sleep, nutrition, phase of your menstrual cycle, etc.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks @bbell1985. I am aiming for a small deficit. It's 500 calories and if I do intense exercise I aim to eat half back or less. 1360 for 5'6" me. An average loss of 1 lb week but it fluctuates.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Thanks @bbell1985. I am aiming for a small deficit. It's 500 calories and if I do intense exercise I aim to eat half back or less. 1360 for 5'6" me. An average loss of 1 lb week but it fluctuates.

500 is not a small deficit with your stats. It's edging above moderate.

Yes, the weight loss will fluctuate. It is common.