Vaping For Weight Loss

Options
I'm thinking about taking up vaping to get my junk food fixes. I also have a pretty bad oral fixation. Hoping it would help, but I dont know anyone else that uses vapes like that so I wasn't sure if it's just a stupid idea... Hoping a second opinion was out there.. I only smoke herb so it's not a matter of struggling to quit cigs

Replies

• XshakyX
    XshakyX Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I heard some guys at work talking about vaping to get their fix for certain types of food. They didn't seem to be on a diet it was just simply easier to that than bring that type of food, since they already vaped. Seems like it might work to control cravings. Best of luck I'd like to know your outcome.
  • Igoham69
    Igoham69 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started vaping three months ago and absolutely love it. I'm not hacking in the morning from the herb smoke the night before. How do you figure that will help with weight loss?
  • XshakyX
    XshakyX Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I started vaping three months ago and absolutely love it. I'm not hacking in the morning from the herb smoke the night before. How do you figure that will help with weight loss?

I think she's talking about the different flavors u can get. Like cereal for instance. Try tricking your mind that you are indulging in something your really not. I might be wrong though.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I had a really hard time not overeating while I vaped. It was like my body expected me to constantly be putting something into my mouth.
  • SalMRiina
    SalMRiina Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had a friend switch from tobacco to vape and he abused the he'll out of the fact he could smoke any time and developed a really nasty infection so don't be like him (an idiot) and overdue it lol
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Searched the boards for this very idea. I love sweets, and have a oral fixation as well. Im deployed overseas for a few months and typically smoke cigars or hookah.

I usually smoke hookah 3 times a week, but its a process to get it out, go find some shade if its not hot or blowing dust, then I have to clean it. No time for that, most the guys out here vape now out of convience and they can do it in their pod(room).

I was interested and tried a couple puffs of a golden graham one, dam it was good. I figured smoking a 0mg vape was probably healthier than smoking a hookah for hours 3 times a week. So I ordered a vape kit(55 bucks), some flavors with 0 nicotine basically just juice because i don't want to become addicted(insert eyerolls here). I don't smoke anything when home months on end, have no cravings for it, just a deployment thing. Its kinda the only vice we get out here, no booze,woman,fun so you gotta get something.

Its been working fairly well, I get a sweet craving fixed sometimes when I'd like to eat, although theres times where the vape isn't cutting it. So I guess it's 50/50. I am cutting my calories pretty hard starting out so obviously I have cravings that I can't ignore and have some days where I eat those tasty, delectable treats.

Good luck what ever you decide, curious what others have to say!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about taking up vaping to get my junk food fixes. I also have a pretty bad oral fixation. Hoping it would help, but I dont know anyone else that uses vapes like that so I wasn't sure if it's just a stupid idea... Hoping a second opinion was out there..

Vaping still involves inhaling nicotine
    . Therefor it is addictive and just as bad as cigarettes. If you have an oral fixation use a toothpick or gum.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I took up vaping to quit smoking, but since I never gave up nicotine, now I am addicted to vaping. Working on cutting down the nicotine, and then quitting altogether, but even just the habit of being able to smoke whenever I want can become very addictive. They still arent sure 100% if vaping is harmful or not, so im not sure I'd recommend it, and I dont really see how it iwll help with weightloss. Eventually the flavors dont taste as good as they did once, The first flavor I tried was swedish fish, I loved it, but halfway through the bottle it stopped tasting like anything.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about taking up vaping to get my junk food fixes. I also have a pretty bad oral fixation. Hoping it would help, but I dont know anyone else that uses vapes like that so I wasn't sure if it's just a stupid idea... Hoping a second opinion was out there..

Vaping still involves inhaling nicotine
    . Therefor it is addictive and just as bad as cigarettes. If you have an oral fixation use a toothpick or gum.

You can get vape juice (oil?) with no nicotine. And it isn't the nicotine that makes cigarettes bad it's the tar and other harmful chemicals. There is also recent speculation that the heat harms your lungs as well, vapes aren't hot.

This is how I imagine you typing this:

z7uf9ik4gdqc.jpg
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I totally thought this was a joke post
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I would recommend vaping as an alternative to smoking and to help you quit...but if you aren't a smoker I wouldn't recommend getting on that wagon. It is uncertain how safe they are...for a smoker trying to quit, it's a better alternative than the smoking as studies have shown vaping to be safer, but more long term studies need to be done.

I used vaping to quit smoking and ultimately quit vaping...unfortunately after a few year, I picked up the vaping again during a very stressful time...trying to get off it again.
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would recommend vaping as an alternative to smoking and to help you quit...but if you aren't a smoker I wouldn't recommend getting on that wagon. It is uncertain how safe they are...for a smoker trying to quit, it's a better alternative than the smoking as studies have shown vaping to be safer, but more long term studies need to be done.

I used vaping to quit smoking and ultimately quit vaping...unfortunately after a few year, I picked up the vaping again during a very stressful time...trying to get off it again.

How did you quit the first time, if you dont mind me asking?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

i second this
  • cwolfman13
    Options

When I quit smoking cigarettes, I started vaping and kept the nicotine pretty high because I just wanted to focus on getting over the cigs and urge to smoke a real cig...I dialed down the nicotine a bit after about 5 or 6 months...after that I just committed myself to going down the next level every month until I was finally at zero.

I still vaped at zero for a few months, but then my vape pen crapped out on me and I didn't really see any need for a new one as my vaping had significantly declined anyway with the zero.

Unfortunately, last summer through fall was really stressful for me with things at work and then injuries sidelined me from cycling and lifting which are two things that really help me with my anxiety and stress...I picked up a pack of cigs and had a couple and then chucked them and went out and bought a new battery and some juice...I was at a 9 and just switched to 6 mg a couple of weeks ago.
  • laurenebargar
    Options

When I quit smoking cigarettes, I started vaping and kept the nicotine pretty high because I just wanted to focus on getting over the cigs and urge to smoke a real cig...I dialed down the nicotine a bit after about 5 or 6 months...after that I just committed myself to going down the next level every month until I was finally at zero.

I still vaped at zero for a few months, but then my vape pen crapped out on me and I didn't really see any need for a new one as my vaping had significantly declined anyway with the zero.

Unfortunately, last summer through fall was really stressful for me with things at work and then injuries sidelined me from cycling and lifting which are two things that really help me with my anxiety and stress...I picked up a pack of cigs and had a couple and then chucked them and went out and bought a new battery and some juice...I was at a 9 and just switched to 6 mg a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah going down in the nicotine seems the best way, Ill get a lower dosage next time I need more and continue to do that, did you have any withdraw symptoms? Every time I dont vape for several hours I get this weird like sore throat thing going on lol
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Yeah going down in the nicotine seems the best way, Ill get a lower dosage next time I need more and continue to do that, did you have any withdraw symptoms? Every time I dont vape for several hours I get this weird like sore throat thing going on lol

Every time I went down, the next couple of days felt a little off, but nothing major as it was pretty slow weening down process.