Post partum Stomach

Options
Any advice on loosing weight after having a baby? I'm 4 months out and am ready to get rid of the weight, mainly around my waistline. I've been cutting carbs and exercising twice a week (maybe three if I'm lucky) but with two children under 2, it's hard to find the time! Any advice would be great!

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit. Lift weights. Be patient and love yourself.
  • Joetelizabeth
    Joetelizabeth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Four months in is still super early. Like PP says, be patient. Your body just went through the trauma of pregnancy and childbirth.

What helped me was watching calories, eating whole foods and daily exercise. All of these gave me the energy I needed for those round the clock feeding sessions.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Losing weight after a baby is done in the same manner as losing weight any other time. Create a calorie deficit. Exercise to minimize muscle loss and for your health.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I lost all the baby weight pretty early, like by 3-4 months, but my stomach remained stretched out for longer than that. I eventually went back to normal by the time by kids were maybe 9-10 months. I had a few months with a bigger than average stomach, though. Pilates helps.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm 30 pounds below my prepregnant weight (and swiftly approaching my lowest ever adult weight) and my stomach still looks like a deflated beach ball. My girl is 6.5 months old. It takes time and I'm getting there.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new little one! I was fortunate with both of mine and bounced back fairly quickly - Both my kids were on the small side and my stretching was minimal, so it was just a matter of losing the weight (vs losing the weight AND having to deal with the saggy/stretched skin). My 2nd was much easier b/c I nursed exclusively. Beyond that, I just watched my calories and took the baby for long walks to get some exercise in.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Are you still nursing? I found losing fat while nursing to be extremely difficult (any calorie deficit would kill my milk supply) and i couldn't do it until i was done nursing.
  • daniellemichellecowger
    daniellemichellecowger Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm a new mom trying to loose weight as well! I just recently started being able to give myself time to eat, and make real food. I've been feeling better just changing my eating habits (mostly). My hubby loves sweets so it's a struggle.
  • knempress
    knempress Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I did 30- Day Shred after both my kids. It's short (25 min maybe?) so I could usually squeeze it in at some point during the day. It helped a lot with recovering some core strength.
  • Kodekai1988
    Kodekai1988 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Conversely, nursing made me lose a ton of weight - I was underweight by the time I stopped when baby was 6 months old. And as soon as I stopped every single pound piled on again!

Patience is key - I lost weight by eating whole foods, minimising carbs and exercising (running and walking). Basically calorie deficit. It took 2 years for my stomach to get to a point where I would wear a bikini again, and tbh it will never be the same 100% - but you know, you have a baby so it's worth it.
  • vintage78
    vintage78 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I went on Ideal Protein about 2.5 years after having my daughter (all diet, no exercise!) The pregnancy weight wouldn't drop, and I didn't even gain that much (25 lbs). I did ideal protein for 6 mos, lost 32 lbs total, and rid that baby weight. Here I am 2 years later- though I gained some back, I'm still at a net 20 lbs lost and back at the same weight I was pre-pregnancy. I am back on a low carb, high protein plan to try and lose a bit more. The most important thing is how much more energy I have with less sugar intake. Amazing.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Cutting out carbs as much as I could was the only thing that helped me, I didn't have time to exercise. I barely had time to sleep! I did go for walks with the stroller and having a baby wrap/baby bijorn was a lifesaver.

Lots of green veggies, chicken, fish, and red meat if your diet allows it. I made crustless quiches, low carb casseroles which were packed with chicken, cheeses, peppers and a tin of diced tomatoes. Big mac salads and taco salads (no shells) are also good. Eggs, bacon, sausages, all that good stuff!

At the end of the day tho - your baby needs all your attention right now, don't be too hard on yourself if you're not bouncing back quickly. Even celebs take time to heal, and the ones who don't.. well they probably used a surrogate.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of 5 and what worked for me was a calorie deficit and heavy lifting.