Sodium goal & recommendations

Options
clicketykeys
clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
I recently started logging again, and this time I started switching out the micros to see how I'm doing with those. Sugar, fiber, calcium - no problems there. Sodium, however, is another matter. I am consistently over MFP's default for me, which is 2300 mg.

It's not a weight issue; I have a healthy rate of loss and I'm (usually) fine with it. (I mean, let's be honest, we all have days when it feels like it takes FOREVER!!) I had my wellness exam recently and my blood pressure was toward the lower end of the normal range.

Am I just more lucky than others in this regard? Is it okay to ignore it unless/until it becomes an issue?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You will get different answers (I'm sure some saying mind is irresponsible), but given all the different information about the sodium recs, I simply don't bother tracking it. I mostly consume homemade foods, can't accurately log from local restaurants anyway, and toss in salt when cooking and would find that difficult to measure, so I've never tried to track it. My blood pressure has always been great, so it's not something I worry about.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I recently started logging again, and this time I started switching out the micros to see how I'm doing with those. Sugar, fiber, calcium - no problems there. Sodium, however, is another matter. I am consistently over MFP's default for me, which is 2300 mg.

It's not a weight issue; I have a healthy rate of loss and I'm (usually) fine with it. (I mean, let's be honest, we all have days when it feels like it takes FOREVER!!) I had my wellness exam recently and my blood pressure was toward the lower end of the normal range.

Am I just more lucky than others in this regard? Is it okay to ignore it unless/until it becomes an issue?

If your blood work is fine, then you are likely fine. If you area concerned discuss it with your doctor at your next visit. The affect of salt on your BP can change with age, but if you are getting regular check-ups you'll know if/when you need to cut back.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Some people are sensitive to sodium and can't tolerate it. Some aren't and can. They each know where they are of the two.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Some people are sensitive to sodium and can't tolerate it. Some aren't and can. They each know where they are of the two.

I'm not so sure about that. Some people seem to need only read about a food intolerance, sensitivity, or allergy to become convinced they have it.