New to weights

Options
I am currently in the process of losing 150lbs currently 39lbs down. I walk 2/3miles every few days to get my fitness levels up but want to get rid of the bingo flabby arms

I have 2 x 2kg weights that I do a bit with but just been give a kettlebell set for my birthday 2kg/3kg/4kg.

The info I got with it gives warm up/cool down and workout it says to repeat all 20 times. I am wondering if I am just starting out with them am I best to start with maybe 10 or less or just go straight to the 20?

Any advice on workouts?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you start with 20, and start with the 4kg. I would also recommend you start looking for some useful weights. I would recommend 8 and 16 kg. AKA the weight of a large baby and the weight of a small toddler.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    You can increase or find other workouts using the weights. I personally like 30 day shred, Ripped in 30, and most anything by The Firm.
  • bdavis1990
    bdavis1990 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Start with the 20 reps. It will help with the endurance aspect of weight training. Anything less will work on muscle size and strength which isn't rest possible with the low amount of weights available at the time.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Without knowing which exercises you're dong, and your abilities, it's hard to give specific advice about what weight and reps you should do. But your first week, it's perfectly fine to only do 10 reps. That's less likely to cause injuries for a newbie. At 150 lbs overweight, your movement skills are probably not perfect, so i suggest recording yourself to check that your form is good. You can compare good form on Youtube.

By the way, try to walk daily, or every other day, for health reasons. Also, fat loss can't be targeted, so don't go overboard with the "bingo wing" exercises. Follow a normal, full-body program for best results. Check Nerd Fitness for a decent starter program. :+1:
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I walk every few days during the week and also do some youtube vids lesley sansome mile walks etc. If I am out walking im doing 2/3miles at the moment so all thats on course.

I am not bothered about having mega muscles just want to get fit/healthy