Would you ever use this? Lol!

Options
Macy9336
Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
This is a short video explaining a waterless toliet being funded by Bill Gates:
http://uk.businessinsider.com/waterless-toilet-future-backed-bill-gates-foundation-2017-5

My thought is no way would I see this working. People don't poo like rabbits in convenient pellets. Too what happens to the toliet paper? How to you clean the toliet? This is meant to be for people with no running water, but do have electricity...do they even exist?

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    It's a great idea for certain regions of the world.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Don't even need to read it. I'll cop a squat anywhere.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I agree...it would definitely have its applications.

I am spoiled and I personally would not prefer this.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/waterless-toilet-future-backed-bill-gates-foundation-2017-5

My thought is no way would I see this working. People don't poo like rabbits in convenient pellets. Too what happens to the toliet paper? How to you clean the toliet? This is meant to be for people with no running water, but do have electricity...do they even exist?

4.2 billion people in this world don't have access to flush toilets or similar sanitation options. 1 million people are killed by water and sanitation illnesses yearly. This silly device that you can't imagine using will save lives in a lot of parts of the world.

How many of these people do have access to electricity though? That's the key problem I see with this is that it needs electricity to run.
  • LAWoman72
    edited May 2017
    Options

4.2 billion people in this world don't have access to flush toilets or similar sanitation options. 1 million people are killed by water and sanitation illnesses yearly. This silly device that you can't imagine using will save lives in a lot of parts of the world.

How many of these people do have access to electricity though? That's the key problem I see with this is that it needs electricity to run.

This is a good point. They'd need to be short on water but not electricity...but I think probably generally, poverty is poverty and tends to run across a bunch if not all channels.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

It gets the electricity needed to power itself from burning the waste.

From the article linked in your link:
    The solids are transported out of the tank by mechanical screw into a combustor where they are burnt and transformed into ash. The heat generated can be converted into electricity which is used to power toilet operations, and any residual energy is used for charging mobile phones or other low voltage items.
  • LAWoman72
    Options

The solids are transported out of the tank by mechanical screw into a combustor where they are burnt and transformed into ash. The heat generated can be converted into electricity which is used to power toilet operations, and any residual energy is used for charging mobile phones or other low voltage items.

How interesting. That is ingenious.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

How interesting. That is ingenious.

I agree. I hadn't heard of this until this thread, but I've been reading about it today since I think it's fascinating and will save lives. There's also a version that's solar powered they've been testing in schools and public parks in India & China. It looks like there are still kinks to work out, but I'll be watching to see how they do in the future.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Yup. Sure beats digging a hole in the ground!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    no I like my toilet just the way it is
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    not sure i would want to use that but i am odd enough to want a fish tank toilet zc2wyiga5o7x.jpg has real fish in it
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would use it. I think it is a great idea for many areas of the world.
    It would probably work better than the traditional toilet I have now.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Given the time, place, and urgency I can poop anywhere.
  • Macy9336
    Options

Thanks! I missed that part of the article. I have cognitive impairments from a traumatic brain injury so I need people like you to point things out now and then. I think better of the toliet now. Before I was like thinking that these poverty stricken areas do not have electricity and when they do get it, it is usually after the area gets running water...so I thought it was silly to have a waterless toliet that comes with a wire and needs a plug. It seemed to me to be like the infamous birth control necklaces we westerners thought of and gave to some indigenous populations and which backfired. I guess there'd have to be a rechargeable battery or something to start the toliet off though...

I think my only remaining concern would be whether those liquid waste nano filters would ever need cleaning or replacing. I would hope it wouldn't be a case similar to printers where the printer costs less than the toner. Wouldn't be very nice to give away toilets to families who'd then need a huge chunk of their income to buy replacement filters....

Thanks everyone for commenting.