Recovery Advice After Mountain Climb

Options
BexDun
BexDun Posts: 133 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I climbed Ben Nevis on Sat and I'm still dealing with painful calves. I was hoping to get some advice on things I can do to speed up recovery, and if there is anything I can do to help prevent this. I think I have tight hamstrings, I'm not sure if this contributes to the problems.

Thanks
Kk.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Yoga and stretching is the best.

An Epsom salt bath also helps.

Congratulations on your climb :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Well done, Nevis is a nice climb.

The pain may be a result of overdoing it. Whilst it's not technical it's a long enough accent and descent that you've put yourself under some stress that'll take time.

You may also want to look at the condition and fit of your boots; weight, ankle height, flex in the shank etc.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Hot tub, good food, email to friends and loved ones with many photos attached.
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Keep moving! Sometimes I will try to lightly massage or roll my muscles out.
  • Fataf99
    Fataf99 Posts: 112 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Time and rest im afraid. Love a good calf burn, it's a good thing. Love the sore calf walk!

Well done on Nevis and I hope thats one of many for you!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you just did a one-off climb, then just push through it. You likely won't make it any worse by continuing to exercise. You are still in the window of "peak soreness" after something like that.

If you just do climbing every now and then, probably not much you can do to prevent it. It's more a function of doing something different and sustained than anything else. If you start to climb regularly, then you will adapt to it and likely not have that particular type of soreness again.
  • hjg0989
    hjg0989 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The pain is a good thing, it means you are building muscle. I agree with stretching, magnesium (Epsom salt), good food and rest. Your body needs time to heal.
  • SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I did Nevis last year & it took a week for my calves to return to normal. Agony! I just tried to stretch them out gently several times a day. It was horrible but I definitely didn't exercise for a good few days after the climb.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Did you use poles? I find they help certain times
  • BexDun
    BexDun Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

I tried a few of the things last night. Had a short, light cycle on the exercise bike, basic stretching (yoga would have been too much) and tried the foam roller but it was super painful. Feeling a bit looser today, but still don't think I could tackle any kind of incline and I might skip rugby training again tomorrow.

I'm not a regular walker by any means, but I've done snowdon a couple of times and scafell pike. I did Adam's peak about 5 weeks ago, which resulted in more pain than Ben Nevis but I assumed this was down to it being all steps. Maybe I haven't quite recovered from that?

I don't think my boots are an issue as apart from Adam's Peak I've never suffered this much...

I'll give these things another go tonight and give my legs a soak with salts.

I think, as I didn't have this much trouble after the other 2 peaks, I may of underestimated what it would be like afterward.

Thanks again,
    Kk.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    hjg0989 wrote: »
    The pain is a good thing, it means you are building muscle. I agree with stretching, magnesium (Epsom salt), good food and rest. Your body needs time to heal.

Pain doesn't actually mean you are "building" muscle. In fact, we our bodies can't create muscle fibers through exercise stimulus.

To the ops question. Take a nap, watch some movies, you're along for the ride at this point.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Right after (too late) ice bath and stretches.
    Day after, heat and rolling.