Depo-provera and hunger?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
So I am due for my depo shot and I was trying to figure out why I was so hungry! All I could think was hormones because I don't get a time of the month... Can depo cause cravings that way when it's due/ending? Because I am so hungry Im considering eating at maintenance for a week lol

Replies

• nicholajaneryan
    nicholajaneryan Posts: 76 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have the Depo shot too, in the past my weight has gone wild on it.
    It doesn't cause weight gain but increased hunger can be a side effect, which sucks.
    You're gonna have to be strict with yourself and your logging I'm afraid :neutral: if you want to keep losing.
    But eating at maintenance for the occasional week won't slow your loss down too much :smile:
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it made me ravenous. That's where a lot of my weight gain came from.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I have the Depo shot too, in the past my weight has gone wild on it.
    It doesn't cause weight gain but increased hunger can be a side effect, which sucks.
    You're gonna have to be strict with yourself and your logging I'm afraid :neutral: if you want to keep losing.
    But eating at maintenance for the occasional week won't slow your loss down too much :smile:

I have been on it for a long time, but it stops my cycle for the most part (it randomly shows up every 4-5 months sometimes lol). I just started getting this super hungry feeling that I haven't felt since I had my periods. I remember I would eat like nuts the week prior. Lol. I was like omg this must be hormonal... then I checked and my shot is due this week (thank God I got hungry or I would have forgot...). I didn't know it could do this. Im glad it's not something I deal with 24/7 but thank you for confirming it's not just in my head!
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a scale when I was on Depo and gained like 20 lbs. I'd never had any issue with my weight before so I guess it must have done a number on my hunger levels.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I didn't have a scale when I was on Depo and gained like 20 lbs. I'd never had any issue with my weight before so I guess it must have done a number on my hunger levels.

Crazy! Thanks for letting me know. Im still logging but I grazed and ate like 100 extra calories lol. Im struggling not to just pull a weird cartoon move where my mouth opens to the floor and I dump all the food in the cabinet into my stomach.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    So I am due for my depo shot and I was trying to figure out why I was so hungry! All I could think was hormones because I don't get a time of the month... Can depo cause cravings that way when it's due/ending? Because I am so hungry Im considering eating at maintenance for a week lol

Hmm! Mine is due tomorrow and I've been really eaty the past week. I didn't connect the two; I figured I was eating my stress from work.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »

Hmm! Mine is due tomorrow and I've been really eaty the past week. I didn't connect the two; I figured I was eating my stress from work.

I'm not feeling particularly stressed. I am sick today (allergies really acting up) but it felt so much like before I would get my periods before... the week before I was ravenous and would just eat and eat... then when my period started I would barely eat at all during it because my appetite would go down.
  • acopeland321
    acopeland321 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My sister gained about 20lbs-30lbs on depo, all in jer stomach and arms. The weight gain slowed down after the first 6months or 2 cycles of the shots.
  • batgirl_273
    batgirl_273 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I used to be on it, i also gained a lot of weight, about 30lbs or so. I went off and back on the pill and lost the weight. I don't know what about the shot made me gain but I also wasn't trying to lose when I was on it so it could have just been old habits, or maybe it made me hungrier. Either way I'm glad I'm off it. There's also a risk of osteoporosis with it so diet is important.