Eating Healthy Vs. working out(burning calories).

Options
13»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    cant out exersize a bad diet

But it's also hard to "out diet" a sedentary lifestyle. ;)
    kimothy38 wrote: »
    I disagree because I lost 40kg without doing any exercise whatsoever - purely clean eating. I may not have been fit and probably lost muscle too, but I did lose the weight. I wouldn't do it again though. This I'm not dieting and am doing cardio and strength training so it's a much slower but more enjoyable process.
    I did. Not saying that it is the healthiest road to take, but I lost 55 pounds with calorie restriction alone (followed what it said on her for daily calories). Now, I am adding exercise for the last month, about 30 minutes elliptical 5-6 days per week, and I have actually gained weight. What happened? I ate more. :) Working out makes me hungrier.

How do you disagree? @Azdak didn't say you can't lose weight without exercise, he said you can't reap the benefits of exercise and avoid the pitfalls of being sedentary by eating a certain way.

It was really just meant to be a play on words.

However, in the same pedantic spirit of those comments, it IS possible to out exercise a bad diet; it's just not a very effective way to do it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    To me, proper diet is the first thing to get right. It's guaranteed that if you get diet right, you will lose weight. Same cannot be said for exercise.

Same can't be said for exercise, but the same can be said for amputation. :fearful:

But the question is - can a person amputate enough to lose the weight they want and still survive without changing anything else? :naughty:
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    bdj11q0ffwez.jpg

This is 100 % wrong.

Weight gain happens in the kitchen. Weight loss happens away from the kitchen.

...but preparing appropriate food with an appropriate amount of calories occurs in the kitchen and that is what ensures weight loss vs going to the gym and then stopping for a bacon cheesburger, chili cheese fries, and a chocolate shake and wondering why you aren't losing weight. :p

Eta:
    Actually, weight loss does happen in the kitchen. Weight gain happens in the dining room, lol.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

I disagree because I lost 40kg without doing any exercise whatsoever - purely clean eating. I may not have been fit and probably lost muscle too, but I did lose the weight. I wouldn't do it again though. This I'm not dieting and am doing cardio and strength training so it's a much slower but more enjoyable process.
    I did. Not saying that it is the healthiest road to take, but I lost 55 pounds with calorie restriction alone (followed what it said on her for daily calories). Now, I am adding exercise for the last month, about 30 minutes elliptical 5-6 days per week, and I have actually gained weight. What happened? I ate more. :) Working out makes me hungrier.

How do you disagree? @Azdak didn't say you can't lose weight without exercise, he said you can't reap the benefits of exercise and avoid the pitfalls of being sedentary by eating a certain way.

However, in the same pedantic spirit of those comments, it IS possible to out exercise a bad diet; it's just not a very effective way to do it.

I get that it was a play on words, but there's still truth there, and I'm confused as to how @kimothy38 and @Desertcolt07 think they're refuting it.

Here's a quote from a recent MFP blog, which is currently on the front page:

“Physical activity reduces the risk of cancers, heart disease and diabetes, which are the main serious illnesses, so active people are less likely to end up in hospital,” says Ewald.

The fact that people have lost weight without exercise doesn't change the facts listed above.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I know when I am not working out I am a lot more aware of what goes in my mouth, so I can maintain and usually end up losing. When I am working out, I am more loose on my calories and more often than not probably go over and splurge more because I have that mind set that I will just work it off. I prefer to work out so I have those extra calories, not fun for me to maintain on 1800 cals a day. Although recently I discovered by just increasing my steps to over 10,000 a day I can burn up to 2,200 cals a day without even working out. I have been taking more days just to walk and be more active with my kids rather then exhausting myself with a high impact workout.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You can lose weight through diet alone. Depends on whatever works best for you. My opinion would be a mixture of both. Exercising and training at the gym made me feel stronger and more mentally together.

Exercising allows me to eat more, my current average is 1700-1800 calories a day and I can still lose a pound a week.
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    SkimpyMrsCarter Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Thats very true
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    "Of all the causes which conspire to render the life of a man short and miserable, none have greater influence than the want of proper exercise."
    -Dr. William Buchan

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/exercise-and-aging-can-you-walk-away-from-father-time
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    By far, what you eat has a bigger impact on your weight.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Funny thing about physical activity: it tends to make me more prone to craving healthier foods and less prone to craving junk food. I don't know why, but it's an interesting feedback loop and I've experienced it both times I went from "eat whatever; including too much junk" to "pay attention to what I eat and move more".

So, if I was going to suggest one small simple change that a person could make in their life that would help them lose weight, I would suggest going for a walk instead of having an evening snack. For most people, the evening snack is the one at which they're most likely to be eating chips or cookies - possibly right out of the bag/box (which is horrible for portion control). Take a water bottle (or other no calorie drink) on the walk. If, after the walk, you're actually hungry then have a portion controlled snack. This breaks the habit of snacking because it's what you do (rather than because you're hungry), provides a little extra calorie burn and cuts a few calories all at once. But it's only one small change and it would be manageable for most people.

Yes, I realize that that advice won't work for *everyone*. I'd come up with something different for somebody with a disability or a single parent who can't leave their child alone (though the advice might involve taking the kid for a walk) or a person who lives in a really scary neigbourhood or a person who doesn't have an evening snack.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I get that it was a play on words, but there's still truth there, and I'm confused as to how @kimothy38 and @Desertcolt07 think they're refuting it.

Here's a quote from a recent MFP blog, which is currently on the front page:

“Physical activity reduces the risk of cancers, heart disease and diabetes, which are the main serious illnesses, so active people are less likely to end up in hospital,” says Ewald.

The fact that people have lost weight without exercise doesn't change the facts listed above.

Not to mention the "energy surfeit" effect which shows that incurring a deficit via diet and exercise is (mildly) more effective than the same deficit created by diet alone. Or the reports from the natl weight registry that something like 90% of those maintaining long-term weight loss continue to follow a vigorous workout routine.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    By far, what you eat has a bigger impact on your weight.

What you eat has a bigger impact on your weight than what? How much you eat? Disagree.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Im in the both camp

Calorie deficit gets me my fat and weight loss goals

If i used food only to create that calorie deficit i would be pretty darn miserable as i love food

Exercise makes me feel great especially exercising outdoors and it has the pretty spectacular side effect of allowing me a bit more food to eat
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Funny thing about physical activity: it tends to make me more prone to craving healthier foods and less prone to craving junk food. I don't know why, but it's an interesting feedback loop and I've experienced it both times I went from "eat whatever; including too much junk" to "pay attention to what I eat and move more".

I have found this to be true with me too. I don't "demonize" any foods but when I am doing burpees and I ate like some delicious greasy thing for dinner the night before it makes me feel gross (rarely, even sick) while working out (early in the morning). I tend to reach for healthier snacks while I am more active. I still will eat a pizza, I just find myself ordering smaller sizes and healthier toppings. I dunno, something about exercise gets me mentally focused as well, so I find doing both to be really important for my success.
  • bmnicolosi
    bmnicolosi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Definitely both. If you have trouble with diet, nail that down first, at least that's my input based on it being the usual struggle. Once you are good there, add the workouts. I suggest that so you have 1 thing to focus on to get in line, then add the other. Don't use working out as reasoning to eat like crazy, or you undo everything you work towards.
  • veganj1
    veganj1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one since both are vital. When I used to lift all the time and was moving almost constantly I could, and needed to, take in a lot of calories. Now due to time I'm not as active plus I'm getting older so I need my calories down around 2000 a day to lose any weight.