Tall women! Thoughts on sport and body weight

Options
2»

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    You have a long way to go, and you are aware of that. Why not focus on short term (or shorter) for now. Your ideal weight will become more apparent as you lose weight and become more active again.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    These issues don't just apply to tall women. I am 5'6 (168 cm), weigh 120 lbs (54.5 kg). I eat approximately 2700-3000 calories a day. I am very active and I train hard. I used to be competitive in adventure racing, running, biking and skiing. With most sports I have always trained with the boys. Now I am a stay at home mom with a 17 month old and mainly do kettle bell workout, cycling and occasional running. I'm happy to not be competing anymore because I found it quite stressful. The amount that I eat has always been commented on and scrutinized to a point that in high school I started eating less just to fit in and dropped to weights of 90-100 lbs (40-45 kg). Even to this day i try to find examples of women who eat like me because i still feel very self conscious about it, but it is hard to find.

This writer used MFP to estimate that Katie Ledecky eats between 3,100 and 3,500 calories.

I'm a little confused about the last sentence, and think the first paragraph refers to regular training days (as opposed to Olympic training days.)

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/this-is-what-olympic-swimmer-katie-ledecky-s-diet-is-like

...Using MyFitnessPal for help, I based the calculations on popular brands of the foods she supposedly eats on a training day. If Ledecky has two pieces of toast with peanut butter, three pieces of fruit throughout the day (one apple, one pears and one banana), two servings of chocolate milk, a bagel with cream cheese, yogurt with honey, berries and granola, pasta with chicken, another helping of yogurt, one serving of steak and rice, her caloric intake on a day of training for is somewhere between 3,100 and 3,500 calories.

It might not seem like a lot compared to Michael Phelps' 10,000-12,000 calorie diet, but keep in mind that during Olympic training, Ledecky's calorie intake likely skyrocketed to keep up the added intensity of competition.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    jlscherme wrote: »
    @deannalfisher where I am from its called "Athena" category and the weight minimum is usually 150-160 lbs, but no height requirement.

That used to be the athena in the US...now it's 165lbs (men are 220 for their category)