What gym do you use?

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Joined up at Planet Fitness, but it's only been a week.

Pros: Price is reasonable. For $20/month I also get to bring my DH along, AND I get to use the massage chairs. Love it. Their trainer seems to be really good; professional and a good balance of tough/encouraging/supportive. Lots of cardio machines, and even when it's busy there's generally only a short wait for the lifting machines.

Cons: No pool. No yoga or dance classes.

Haven't been through a food day yet. How come they're so hated?

Because of insulting, condescending, stereotyping, judgmental ads like these (ironic for a place that claims to be a "no judgment zone"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRH5wGrcxok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqpQio9H7IE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOSeOieLh7s
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness.

Pros:
    Cheap at only $10 a month.
    There are a LOT of cardio machines so even in January (because of the fun new year's people) I don't have to wait for a cardio machine.
    No one really talks to me at all, which I like when I am working out.
    From what I can see, most people wipe down machines after using them.

Cons:
    I have to wait sometimes for the weight machines, but there are two of most of them.
    I had some issues with the owner in the past when I tried to call them, they never returned my call.
    I wish so much that there was a punching bag.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Pros: Price is reasonable. For $20/month I also get to bring my DH along, AND I get to use the massage chairs. Love it. Their trainer seems to be really good; professional and a good balance of tough/encouraging/supportive. Lots of cardio machines, and even when it's busy there's generally only a short wait for the lifting machines.

Because of insulting, condescending, stereotyping, judgmental ads like these (ironic for a place that claims to be a "no judgment zone"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRH5wGrcxok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqpQio9H7IE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOSeOieLh7s

OMG Thank you for sharing - I keep hearing about the ads and haven't seen any!

I just joined InShape (I think it used to be InShape City). I like it because it's smaller and older than the other gyms around here, so I find it less intimidating.

Pros:
    Less than 5 minutes away
    Only $20 a month, no contract, classes included in the price
    Even when it's busy it's not so crowded that there are long waits to use the equipment
    They do preventative maintenance on the equipment, I haven't seen anything out of order yet
    They have a good mix of very fit, less fit and newbies (like me) so I feel very comfortable
    I have an awesome trainer

Cons:
    None so far, but it's only been a few weeks :)
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Local Community Center
    pros:
    -resident cost is $30 for a family, so good cost for my boyfriend and me
    -have access to 2 neighboring community centers
    -variety of equipment, classes, options (skating rink, pool, basketball courts, weights, tons of cardio machines, heavy bag, classes, personal training sessions, etc.)
    -equipment looks clean

cons:
    -if you go right after work, you may not get the cardio machine you want
    -during some cardio group classes, half the treadmills are unavailable

Title Boxing Club
    pros:
    -fun, energetic group class that works your whole body and makes you feel like a bad *kitten*
    -different trainers teach every day so you get variety in your workout classes
    -fun community among members

cons:
    -cost - I pay $60 per month, but I don't think I'd pay much more than that for the number of classes I attend each week
    -weekend class choices are somewhat limited
    -some gyms are cleaner than others - I'd never use the ab mats at my main Title, but one of the others in my area is very clean

I'd love to have a regular hot yoga studio membership, but the membership prices usually are too high. In college I would go to community classes for $5 each class. Even with a student discount most studios have prices over $100 per month. I don't think I could justify paying for another gym membership. I'd definitely consider class passes or other options on GroupOn or Living Social though.

As others have mentioned, the great outdoors is a wonderful option. I love to run outside, and I live close to a great park!
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have two memberships (three if I include the pool, my employer pays for all three memberships so why not...) one being a small national chain with a "neighbourhood" profile (P&T) and the other is a large national chain (NW).

Pros P&T
    It's in an apartment complex where most people are retired and not the most frequent gym goers - it's never busy
    On the weekend or in the evenings I have the gym to myself 90% of the time
    Clean and modern
    5 min walk from both my house and my office - convenient!
    They do breakfast for all members every Sunday

Cons P&T
    Small and not the most well equipped
    You have to commit to a full year when you sign up
    Not 24 hours (5am-11pm, mon-fri)

Pros NW
    Massive - every machine imaginable and multiple areas suitable for different forms of training
    Sauna
    My brother goes to the same gym
    Friendly and helpful staff
    Rolling contract - easy to cancel
    If you switch from another gym they will cover the remaining cost of the current contract to buy you out of the old membership to allow you to move to them instead
    In the summer months they give you free access to all their gyms in all countries they operate

Cons NW
    Far enough from my house that I'm always tempted to take the metro there
    Too far from work for morning workouts
    Not 24 hours (5am-11pm, mon-fri)
    Always crazy busy! Long wait time sometimes for benches/machines/weights
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Campus Rec Center: $35/month
    Pros
    • Clean
    • Free towels
    • Tons of cardio equipment (I've never had to wait, even during peak hours (5-7pm)
    • Two weight rooms
    • Rock climbing wall
    • Indoor track
    • Outdoor pool (I live in SoCal, so year-round 'cause it's heated)
    • Lots of classes and trips (trips are an additional fee, but cheaper than if you went to a private company)

Cons
    • Students--because of my role on campus, I stay our of the locker room as seeing students for whom i have authority over without apparel makes me really uncomfortable (and is creepy).
    • More limited hours during breaks.

Private Yoga Studio: $129 (unlimited classes)
    Pros
    • Amazing community of people--made new friends!
    • Incredibly qualified instructors.
    • Tons of classes, multiple locations. Start early in the morning and go late in the evening.
    • Supporting small business

Cons
    • Price (but worth every penny to me)

That's ONE good thing about my university: faculty and staff have a separate locker room. It's old. It's grody, but it has a combination lock to get in and is ONLY for faculty and staff (who aren't students).
  • Editme12
    Editme12 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    24 hour fitness. I bought a deal at Costco that was $400 for two year membership.

Pros:
    Pool, hot tub, sauna
    Can use any (equal level) 24 hour fitness
    Lots of cardio machines
    Different types of classes offered

Cons
    The 3 I've been to all seem sorta run down (esp locker rooms and pool)
    My local one has a weird design, going into the weight area seems like a big deal from the cardio area
    Not great ventilation or air flow
    Locked into a long membership
    No TV's on any cardio machines at the ones I've been to
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Cardio is done at home( Treadmill)

I mostly go to a small, no franchise gym near work. I like everything about it, and know the times to avoid crowds. It's geared more towards lifting than cardio. Which is fine with me.

I also have a membership at Planet Fitness because it's the only gym near home. I go there a couple times a month. We all know cons of PF, my biggest problem with them is not having a squat rack.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    24 Hour Fitness, been a member forever but currently just use it once a week for cycle class. It's cheap, multiple locations and 24 hour access at most of them.

Work gym, cheap, 24 hour access. Use it when I want to lift on my own.

Private gym No. 1, expensive but athletic based training, boxing, equipment that is not available at other gyms.

Private gym No. 2 Circuit class once a week, class cost is very reasonable.

Classpass membership: 5 classes a month at whatever gym is participating on the list. I think it's a great deal especially when drop-ins for reformer, barre, or any boutique type studio is about $25 to $30.

As far as amenities 24 has the sauna, steam room and towel service. Even my work gym provides towels and showering facilities as does one of the private gyms.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    24 hour fitness(Super Sport)

Pros:
    *Plenty of equipment even at peak time, there is always 2 or 3 of every cardio piece available. TV's on most of the cardio equipment or within view.
    *2 lap pools one indoor & one outside that are adults only other than when the swim school is having evening classes in the indoor one(3 days a week).
    *1 outdoor family fun pool complete with 2 story high water slide & a splash pad fountains, etc. (Great for my kids)
    * Separate family locker area with private changing rooms for those using the family pool.
    * Sauna, steam room & hot tub
    * a lot of free classes including aqua classes which are good for me with my *kitten* up back & some paid classes.
    * Kids club, I can put the kids in there for up to 2 hours, so I don't have to leapfrog time with my wife's schedule to go work out. We can do this & both workout at the same time

Cons:
    * Locker Room could use some work as it's getting old. Needs some repairs, but still plenty functional.
    * Some of the tv's on the cardio stuff are broken. Not a big deal to me.
    * Kids swimming classes sometimes interfere with my workout opportunities.
    * They always try to sell me protein powder while I'm checking in. LOL
    * Biggest con is the price. $35 for each of our memberships & the kids club is $10 per kid, which really isn't that bad for 2 hours of child care. Our total cost come out around $90 for the whole family per month.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    YMCA

Pros:
    - 2 hours of childcare per day and I'm allowed to go run outside, I don't have to stay inside the facility
    - monthly parents night out (3 hours of free babysitting)
    - splash pad/pool for the kids
    - discounted swim lessons/sports for my kids
    - multiple locations makes it interesting and convenient
    - can use the YMCA when I travel "home" to visit family

Cons:
    - cost, family membership is $93/month

If I didn't have kids I probably would skip a gym membership altogether. I have a treadmill at home and primarily run outside.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options

(edit - see above)

YIKES. I get that they're going for humor via hyperbole, but... stereotypes are rarely helpful :pensive:

However, I think there's some pronoun confusion. I meant to ask why everyone seems to hate the food days in particular! :D sorry if that was unclear
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Lifetime Fitness

Pros

Plenty of equipment Cardio and Weights
    24/7
    Great classes for all fitness levels
    Spa
    Cafe
    Salon
    Rock Climbing
    Spin Studio
    Racquetball Courts
    2 Basketball Courts
    Massage Therapy
    Close to Home
    Indoor/Outdoor Pool w/ water slides/Sauna/Whirlpool

Cons

Expensive $130 per month for family membership
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

(edit - see above)

YIKES. I get that they're going for humor via hyperbole, but... stereotypes are rarely helpful :pensive:

However, I think there's some pronoun confusion. I meant to ask why everyone seems to hate the food days in particular! :D sorry if that was unclear

I don't. I wish my gym had free food.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness and my home gym. Planet Fitness is only $10 a month, is open 24/7, and has tons of nice clean equipment to use. Can't always make it up there though, so most of the time I just work out in the basement. Can't beat walking downstairs for convenience.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I go to two gyms.

Blink- go 4 to 5 days per week after work

Pros:
    Cost $25/ month
    Real lifting gym with bigger weight range in free weights, barbells and kettlebells
    More equipment- plyo boxes, stability balls, battle ropes, 2 squat racks and Smith machines
    Personal training. My trainer mixes boxing into our sessions. He ROCKS!
    More variety in cardio and weight machines
    Clean locker room and bathroom
    Staff always walking the floor to supervise
    Clientele serious about working out

Con:
    A little too far from my job for a lunchtime workout

Planet Fitness- go occasionally, once per week at most

Pros:
    Cost $10/ month
    Close enough to my job for a lunchtime cardio workout
    Friendly staff

Cons:
    Facility is dirty. Last year locker room was invaded by bugs (complaints filed, problems solved). People spit on the ground. Bathrooms rarely cleaned.
    Have to wait too long for the weight machines
    No variety in cardio machines- treadmill, elliptical, bike
    Pizza, candy, and bagels no one needs
    Skeevy clientele (at mine at least)

• JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Goodlife. They are country wide, with large numbers of gyms in every city I frequent. They seem to have everything I need and they attract a wide range of people, young and old, new and experienced etc. They all have free weight sections with squat racks, various leg press and cable stations, lots of smith machines, along with large areas for cardio with dozens of treadmills, ellipticals, stair climbers etc. All the locations I've been to are very clean, the staff is friendly for the most part and the hours are good. The one closest to me is open 24/7.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I mainly use the gym that I set up in my garage, which includes a full rack, 8 different bars plus a Landmine bar holder, over 1k pounds in plates, a pair of adjustable dumbbells (50# each), a dip station, a sissy squat stand and a GHR. Also have a spin bike and rower in the house and a simple Crossfit setup (sled, battle ropes and tractor tire) in the backyard).

Have a free Silver Sneakers membership (for seniors on Medicare) at "In Shape" in the SF Bay Area but I really only go there to use the steam room and sauna and to sometimes do 30 mins on a Stairmaster. They have a lap pool but I don't swim. Do everything else at home.
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »
    I go to Orange Theory a few times a week and belong to the YMCA. I also buy passes to CycleBar and another gym in my area with a great spin studio.

How do you like Orange Theory??? I have a bad ankle/several surgeries on it and i cannot run/jump on it- do you think i would be able to modify their workout to join? It looks like a great place.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Private, medium-sized gym: $59/mo

Pros:
    Staff is great/happy/responsive/friendly :-)
    Amenities (sauna, steam room, clean showers with toiletries! and real doors, REAL blow dryers, towels, large lockers, shake/smoothie bar, several classes I LIKE and actually go to)
    Music is rarely loud
    NICE ventilation/cool upstairs where cardio machine are!
    Never feels crowded (except sat morning yoga)/parking is great/spacious locker room & studios
    ALL classes are included (yoga, pilates, spinning, TRX, etc); only spinning needs reservation
    Free training session was thorough & individualized - actually 2 hours (over 2 days due to my schedule)
    Has rowing machines (most places here no longer have them)
    Few teens (previous, cheap gym always has lots of teens, which is awesome, except they tend to text/loiter around a lot)
    Most people more serious about their workouts (but class instructors are not too serious)
    Challenges, etc
    $: They have a nutritionist, massage therapist RMR and VO2 max testing, though not sure if I want these done right now- nice to know I have the options available

Cons:
    Towels are a bit too small for my current size (I just bring my own and look forward to losing more weight)

Previous local chain gym (maybe 6 locations): $20/mo (to use massage chairs/tables)

Pros:
    Cheap
    Massage chairs & hydromassage tables (1-2 of each, depending on location
    Has separate changing rooms for privacy
    Shake bar
    One location: womens only cardio & strength circuit areas (small, but good)
    One location: cardio cinema room (DVD's play in a dark room full of cardio machines

Cons:
    Warehouse-style means walls do not extend to ceiling and OMG I can't stand listening to the Zumba instructor's high-pitched nasally voice whooping EVERY day & the cardio room movie noise that my noise-isolating headphones can't drown out
    Machines always broken/squeaky - gym is only 2 years old
    Showers always seem dirty
    Tiny lockers
    Water fountain was gross/never used it

PS I live in an area with fairly small towns and a tiny, less affluent "city" where PF, The Edge (all the $10-$20/mo gyms) are always packed to the gills, no matter how many more they build!!
    Orange Theory is opening in July and I'm going to try that for 2 months- hoping the price will keep the crowds away!