looking for honest users

Options
Ljvalsan
Ljvalsan Posts: 27 Member
I have met about 4 people so far that tend to post outrageous amounts of exercises when they log in. There is no way, unless you are a professional athlete, which you are not cause then you would not be trying to lose 80 pounds, that you burn 3500 calories a day doing 325 minutes of cardio. Even if you are always active in your job it is impossible to burn this much. The most i have seen is 5200 with about 5 hours of walking. Be honest people. I am not saying that nobody can do this, cause some people can. But if you can it is obviously noticeable.

Replies

• HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I understand the ridiculousness, but when MFP users lie on their diaries, they only to themselves. It doesn't affect you really, does it?
  • jbehring
    jbehring Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can burn 4000 calories doing a century bike ride, but I'm with you that is unlikely that anyone can burn 3500 calories a day, everyday consistently.
  • jasoncbackus
    jasoncbackus Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I understand the ridiculousness, but when MFP users lie on their diaries, they only to themselves. It doesn't affect you really, does it?

It can be discouraging to some.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I am brutally honest on my posts...if I question the calories, I always go up not down. I like to watch others progress but I just ignore the ones that are ridiculous.
  • xiomarajae
    xiomarajae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm always 100% honest when it comes to my posts.
    If people choose to over exaggerate then they're only harming themselves.
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options

It can be discouraging to some.

^^^...I have had 2 friends get very down on themselves, and email me when I remarked that they have been "quiet lately", and their response....."I get depressed seeing all the exercise, and I can't compete"...."My weight-loss is so slow, and when I see others knockin it out of the park I get upset with myself", I have kids, and a job, I can't keep up with so many others I see here"....I have seen this in the feed, on emails, and it is discouraging...and quite unbelievable some times....
  • Ljvalsan
    Options
    I am honest on my posts even if I cheat BECAUSE (feel better big man), like you guys said, you only lie to yourself. And like I said before, there are some people who can do it, but not all of us.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I agree, there is no normal , regular way people burn 800 plus calories each day....think the site is just a bit off when it calculates it in some cases....I tend to just say I do 20 or 30 minutes of tennis or crossfit verses the 2 hours as it comes up with numbers that are way too far off..
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You don't want to be my friend then...I do triathlons and just this past weekend I had a 13 mile run on Saturday + mile swim (160ish minutes) followed by a metric century on the bike the next day around 240 minutes. Those were easily 5000+ calorie days for me. It is possible and not that difficult.
  • rosah2
    rosah2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I recently got a HRM and started using it. Before that, I imagine I was "lying" on my exercise but not intentionally. MFP overestimates exercise calories by a lot. Today I was wearing my HRM while I push mowed part of the yard. It showed 418 calories burned. I looked it up in MFP's database and for the same amount of time, it showed 938. So more than double.
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I agree, some people are putting ridiculous numbers. I want to get an HRM to see the exact amount of calories I burn, but they're so pricey :/ Anyways, agreed! Only a couple of my friends exaggerate the amount of calories burned.
  • julianalenny
    Options
    OMG I hate that! It's like, you walked for 6 hours? What? Who is benefiting from these things?
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I wear a BodyMedia, which I consider to be pretty accurate, so I never need to worry about overestimating.

Even when I ran a marathon, my burn for the day was only 4,640. :laugh:
  • Ljvalsan
    Options
    On the contrary, I would like to be your friend on MFP. The difference between you and other users is that you are not lying. I am talking about some that is 280 pounds and has not lost weight even though they do 3 to 4 hours of pt a day and burn 3000 to 5000 calories a day just by walking. Do you understand what I am saying? It's not about what you can or can't do, is about what you say you did that is not true.
  • Ljvalsan
    Options
    I agree, some people are putting ridiculous numbers. I want to get an HRM to see the exact amount of calories I burn, but they're so pricey :/ Anyways, agreed! Only a couple of my friends exaggerate the amount of calories burned.

I know, I have seen them about $650!!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I think people just don't really know.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I log every bite, good or bad, and my fitbit tracks all my exercise (and I've never gone near 800 Cals a day burning wise). MFP over exaggerates exercises so much. I have people on my friends list burning 1500 a day... like seriously? That's BS.

But whatever, people wanna lie to themselves, it's not my place to say. They are just screwing themselves up in the end.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It's all estimation! Even heart rate monitors are estimating how many calories you burn. Not to mention that all the food calories you put in your diary are an estimate. It's not an accounting game. I think it's best to think of it as a way to train yourself to pay attention to these things, not to obsess on exact numbers. Pay attention to your body and how it responds. That being said, I think there is a lot of BS out there, too, as well as people who can burn thousands of calories on marathons, etc. Take it all with a grain of salt (unless you're watching sodium LOL).
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    "I spend 4 hours in the gym each day doing HIIT spinning. I only eat air with an occasional nibble on a saltine I have had since the 90s. But I haven't lost any weight." Yeah, I am exaggerating a little but those are the posts that drive me nuts. I don't even bother to reply to people who are either freaks of nature (not likely), immune to physics (far less likely) or just not being honest (highly likely). To be fair, some of them even fool themselves.
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    I see it and I'm like wow....they are really hurting themselves because they are not eating their calories back...and there are these huge amounts of calories left to be eaten....something is wrong with that picture. I just figure they have some sort of issue...I mean, some not so much. I have a hiker on my FL so I believe her....but others, I think maybe they (or their HRM) is way off.

By the way, I found and HRM on Amazon.com for $63