"Walking" on breaks/lunch #TheStruggleIsReal

Options
So I started actively logging in a few weeks back (I will be logging my food starting Monday). (Always looking for supportive friends, so feel free to add!)

Anyway, I decided to start walking when I started logging in again. I get two 10 minute breaks and approximately 15 minutes during lunch. My issue is when I started walking the temps were in the low 70s (which is perfect for me). T-shirt & jeans or dress shirt & slacks depending on what day it is. The bad part is that the temps are rising, today toward 80 and by next week into the 80s and above.

I don't have time to change clothes for a 10 minute walk and the building isn't setup to be able to walk around or even through very well for that time. So any suggestions? At least on my casual days I can wear shorts and maybe bring a shirt to change into but on dress days...

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    March in place? Get up early and workout before work?
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I walk during lunch. In the summer its a bummer. I keep an extra undershirt in my desk, and I wear alot of blouses so I just take off the top layer, walk in my undershirt, then put my shirt back on when I return, nbd. If I get too nasty I switch unders. Also, put some deodorant in your desk for when you need it. Oh, and you can also just do a bunch of pushups behind your desk if it is really too hot out but you still want to get something in; I like to do those fitness challenge grids during my short breaks.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I hear ya! I wanted to walk today but it's like 80 outside with 90% humidity. I would be a sopping wet mess after 10 minutes. I do work in a large building where I could walk inside but it's so boring. I need to download some podcasts on my Kindle or something.

Do you have any shaded parking decks nearby? Maybe not the safest option, but usually you can walk continuously and they are shaded and a bit cooler. As long as you are being careful. I park in a 5 story parking deck so I can make a long continuous walk up around the loop. There's a light incline and the deck is dark and chilly.

I know the struggle. Like the above poster, I have been known to bring some fresh unders to change into. I can't stand sweaty drawers.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Just tell people "it's raining" when you get back from your break.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    15 minutes doesn't give you enough time to drive to the nearest big-box store or mall.

Do you work in an office? Can you close the door? Look up walking videos on YouTube - marching in place, side steps, knee lifts....simple aerobic moves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njeZ29umqVE
    These also come in DVD form.

I have co-workers who arrive to work early, still fairly cool outside and then walk the industrial park.

Baby wipes will help somewhat. But yeah, heat & humidity
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    How long is your lunch? I run during mine (40 minute lunch...30 minutes of running with 5 minutes on either end to change). I bring a complete change of clothes to run in, sports wipes to clean up with and extra deodorant. Now that my runs are longer I am lucky enough to have a prep period (teacher) that butts up to lunch so I have 90 minutes to do a 60 minute run (which is really like 75 when you add in waiting for lights).
  • StopherJJMFP
    StopherJJMFP Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I guess I should've bookended my question with the fact that I have to be punched into work by 7am (I'm far from a morning person) which means on a regular day I'm already having to wake up at 5:30am to even get to work on time, so before work wouldn't do much. I don't get home until 6:30/7pm and after sitting at a desk for 10+ hours, the last thing I want to do is go outside and walk (I know this is part of my problem lol)

I also have a desk job in an open cubicle setup, so no real privacy to speak of at my desk. That means all of the at desk stuff is a no go.

Sadly I only have 10 minutes for each of my two breaks and then a total of 30 minutes for my lunch (15 or so I need to eat much).
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Look at your morning routine. Is there ANYTHING you can get prepped the day before? It's generally going to be cooler in the morning than it would in the evening anyway.

Alternatively, how big is the office? Could you walk around inside during your lunch break? Or is there another inside area you could go to?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Exercise when you get home for 30 minutes. Spend the evening not sitting.
    You could walk briskly around your house instead of going outside or do a workout video.
    There are lots of workout videos on you tube. Jessica Smith tv, Fitness Blender, Leslie Sansone
    Turn on music and dance for another option. Play active games.
    Invest in a treadmill or other home exercise equipment.
    Go to a gym after work.
    Do active chores, park farther away from things, use stairs instead of an elevator.
    Some people walk or bike to work or commute partway by car/bus but walk the rest.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Are you required to work 10+ hours? Is there any way to take work home with you and leave a little earlier?

How do you commute to work? I used to get off the train a few stops early and walk the last leg.

Let's see...the evenings are going to be long and lovely now. Might want to just get used to walking a bit after work as that sounds more sustainable.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I find a room to go walk in place when I can. I work in a library, every once in awhile one of the community rooms isn't in use and I can walk back and forth in it. When I get home from work it's already dark, so, I run around in my livingroom in front of the tv. I'm wondering how long it will take me to wear down through the carpet.. lol No, seriously, I've jogged/walked for hours right in front of my TV at home.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I guess I should've bookended my question with the fact that I have to be punched into work by 7am (I'm far from a morning person) which means on a regular day I'm already having to wake up at 5:30am to even get to work on time, so before work wouldn't do much. I don't get home until 6:30/7pm and after sitting at a desk for 10+ hours, the last thing I want to do is go outside and walk (I know this is part of my problem lol)

I also have a desk job in an open cubicle setup, so no real privacy to speak of at my desk. That means all of the at desk stuff is a no go.

Sadly I only have 10 minutes for each of my two breaks and then a total of 30 minutes for my lunch (15 or so I need to eat much).

that sounds awful. eat at desk and use the 'lunch' time for other stuff?

• mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Always wondered how people have so much time to workout on lunch. I see guys at work saying they did 5 miles and still have time for a shower. Even pushing to an HR lunch that seems impressive.

I use to walk on lunch before I went second shift and switched buildings. The area I'm in now I won't walk after dark, can barely get from the door to my car without a crackhead hitting me up for cash. Luckily the building is huge and I still get in a walk just going through the halls. Usually I put my lunch and last break together so I have a 50 minute lunch instead of a half hr
  • StopherJJMFP
    StopherJJMFP Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great suggestions! I really appreciate all of the input! I think afterwork will be the only way it'll work. Looks like I just have to get myself to do it lol.

Sadly the building is smaller and no real walking paths through it. This area has little to no mass transit and I work far enough away that I have to drive, riding a bike/walking wouldn't be feasible lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Always wondered how people have so much time to workout on lunch. I see guys at work saying they did 5 miles and still have time for a shower. Even pushing to an HR lunch that seems impressive.

I use to walk on lunch before I went second shift and switched buildings. The area I'm in now I won't walk after dark, can barely get from the door to my car without a crackhead hitting me up for cash. Luckily the building is huge and I still get in a walk just going through the halls. Usually I put my lunch and last break together so I have a 50 minute lunch instead of a half hr

I get a 60 minute lunch...I can be on my bike and knock out about 12 miles in about 40-45 minutes...so 15-20 minutes to spare for cleaning up.

My wife is a runner and she can knock out 5 miles in about 40 minutes or so.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    High heat and humid here so I have my schedule set to get up at 4:30 and run six miles. Every other day I run 4.5 miles and stop at the gym for a nautilus set. If I don't get it done in the morning it doesn't happen.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

that sounds awful. eat at desk and use the 'lunch' time for other stuff?

That is what I do. I use my lunch to run and then eat during passing periods.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I get a 60 minute lunch...I can be on my bike and knock out about 12 miles in about 40 minutes...so 20 minutes to spare for cleaning up.

My wife is a runner and she can knock out 5 miles in about 40 minutes or so.

Would be awesome to get a ride in on lunch, if I thought I would come back with my bike I probably would try lol.

So doable, would really make the day better as well getting the stress out.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The short time periods do limit you. I'm fortunate to work half a block from a big church with an indoor walking track. I get an hour for 'lunch' and can eat at my desk though. On too hot to be outside, or rainy days: I drive over. Otherwise I walk over. I do change into shorts/tank but that takes me very little time.