50, is it perimenopause or menopause?

Options
BooTiFulDizaStR
BooTiFulDizaStR Posts: 4 Member
Since June of last year I have been experiencing changes with my menstrual cycle. It has been every 3 months with a drop in energy and an increase in mood swings. There are days where I am an emotional mess. I cry for any little thing and there are times I feel like I'm losing it. I am hoping that being here I can find out what works for everyone who is experiencing menopause. I sure do miss my old energetic self. By the way how long will this last. Ugghhh!

Replies

• dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    You are officially in menopause when you don't have periods for a full 12-months stretch. Some women get it at earlier age than 50, and some -
    later. As for all the bothersome symptoms associated with perimenopause, you should see your gyno and discuss it with her/him so they can help you with that
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    dc8066 wrote: »
    You are officially in menopause when you don't have periods for a full 12-months stretch. Some women get it at earlier age than 50, and some -
    later. As for all the bothersome symptoms associated with perimenopause, you should see your gyno and discuss it with her/him so they can help you with that

Yes. :)

Menopause is when your periods have literally stopped and as dc8066 says, most doctors make this "call" at the 12-month mark. A few women will get a surprise more than a year after their last period; there's no official test to say you will never, ever have a period again but that's generally the cutoff where a doctor will proclaim you menopausal.

Peri = "around". Could start at 50. At 35. At 55. At...whenever. And could last...however long. I know I have been in peri for 7 years as at that time, I had a routine hormonal panel and was shown to be in ovarian failure. However, I never had an irregular period until I think two and a half-ish years ago...then BAM. Now my periods are literally all over the place. After a "most recent" period I might have one 20 days later...or five months later. (This is the second time I've gone more than 4 months. No clue when or if it's ever coming again but I hope not.)

I have tons of symptoms and I have a peri thread on this forum somewhere...
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    There is a group you can join here on MFP also, to discuss all the fun that comes wit getting older.
  • Sexybunny2
    Sexybunny2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi guys - I am 51 and I guess this is my group now :D . In a matter of 4 months I have put on 15 months and am completely bloated. I have the beginning signs of menopause which I am managing with essential oils and supplements but I can't get my weight to move. I am exercising 5 days a week for 1 hour and walking in the middle of the day. I have a tire around my middle and I don't know what to do to get the inflammation down. Any ideas? Suggestions? I am drinking water and exercising. Trying to eat low carb. Anything else??
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I am 52 and was diagnosed with Peri-menopause at 36! I was so screwed up for many years that finally I had an Endometrial Ablation at 46 which ended my periods completely! I had lost over 42 lbs between 49-50, then after getting a bad injury late last Spring, I gained more than half of it back! Since April, I was able to be rid of the cane and back into routine, but it doesn't seem to be working the same as before! At my last annual exam the Doc decided to test me to see where I was at as far as Menopause and apparently according to my numbers, she says I probably went thru it around two years ago. So this might explain why my body is acting different! As far as Bloat and Hot Flashes go, I've had them since my late 30s and still do. She thinks that I will most likely always get them. :confused:

P.S. Primrose helps a lot!!!

And on a positive note...No more periods and no more Birth Control! ;)