Water walking.... Really?

Options
So I'm water walking as I recover from a really elaborate knee reconstruction and alignment. I'm hoping it helps me rehab and of course burn calories, since I've been very sedentary ever since surgery.

Everything I find online says this burns like 500 calories an hour! Is that right? I didn't think it would be that much. I'm in about chest high water and trying to keep a pretty good quick pace.

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Could be...you're working against a ot of resistance from the water
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    water walking works me up a good amount as well. Especially because I float quite easily, so I am also fighting the float to be able to keep walking and not use my arms. its a decent workout.
  • anitasongs
    anitasongs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I just had ventral hernia surgery and water exercise is all I can do. I ordered a book from Amazon on exercises to help you lose weight and tone. Water is more resistant than land exercises. Im hoping to really get good workout.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I don't know. But it seems at least possible since that's roughly double what a brisk walk in air is said to burn and walking in water is much much harder.

I'm sure it depends a great deal on how deep the water is and how fast you try to go...and probably on your surface area.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    Good points all. I guess my instinct was less weight on the legs less work, but LORD the resistance in the water was nuts! Will keep that in mind and try to keep my arms below water as well to add to it.
  • dchief30
    dchief30 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    when I swim I feel like I always burned more just walking under water could kick my butt I bet you would burned a lot (: