Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calories "when OVEN cooked according to instructions" - would microwave be different?

2»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited June 2017
    watb108 wrote: »
    So, raw it is 350 g and 211 kcals.

But that's the part I don't understand.
    The weight on the box says 350g and the nutrition label says 70cals per 100g. 70x3.5 = 245cals?
    Can you explain this part please? Sorry for being thick.

Right - but, if you notice the note denoted by ** - it states that, when cooked per directions, the weight is typically 303 g. Thus, 70*3.03=212. That 1 Calorie is likely due to rounding somewhere - it's likely ~69.6, rounded to 70 Cals per 100 g.

eta: Side note: this is probably the biggest reason you'll see people recommending using raw weights, when possible, as opposed to cooked. This obviously can't happen here where the nutrition label only gives a cooked profile, though.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    Honestly, if the box is a single serving and you're not adding anything to it to change the calorie count, I'd just log what's on the box. While the weight (and thus amount of food and thus calories) can and likely does vary slightly to what's on the box, I'd call it 'good enough' and carry on.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    If it's waitrose/M&S - Some people brush the top with milk or egg or add cheese. Some also add more mash. Sometimes these ready meals will be used in cafes and restaurants and adjusted. Calorie count only applies to the product as is.
  • celestestar
    celestestar Posts: 41 Member
    But that's the part I don't understand.
    The weight on the box says 350g and the nutrition label says 70cals per 100g. 70x3.5 = 245cals?
    Can you explain this part please? Sorry for being thick.

The weight 303g ** (211 cals) are for the whole pie has cooked per according to instruction. The calories per 100g of the pie would therefore also be for the pie as cooked per instructions. (70cal x 3.03= 212cal) The extra 1 calorie is obviously from the calorie per 100g being rounded up.
    ... So if I cook the whole thing and eat it all myself then will it make any difference if I do it in the oven or the microwave?

The only difference between cooking it in the stove oven compared to the microwave oven would be the amount of water that was evaporated while being cooked. Since water has zero calories and as long as nothing was added/removed, the pie will still have the same amount of calories (211cal) cooked in a microwave as it would be cooked in an oven.
  • watb108
    watb108 Posts: 10 Member
    Am I right that more water would be evaporated in a conventional oven as opposed to the microwave?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    It's only referring to you not adding any other ingredients in order to cook it another way, like if you scooped it out and sauteed it or some weird *kitten*.