Is it really worth exercising?

Options
Hi I've been going to the gym for 2 months now haven't really lost weight mainly gains most weeks I've stuck to my calorie intake but now I haven't been able to reach the gym this week and all of sudden I've dropped 3lbs since Saturday? I weigh daily and I've never lost this much so quickly. Thank you

Replies

• ramskermfc
    ramskermfc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Maybe just some water fluctuation? IMHO, yes . . . exercising is well worth the effort if you are trying to lose weight and change your appearance, especially some kind of resistance training. But even if it's only cardio, the more cals you burn vs what you are taking in, the more weight you lose.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    For most people, it is good to keep exercise and weight loss separated in your mind. Cut calories for weight loss. Exercise for increased fitness.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Exercise is good for your health!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Exercising is an excuse for me to get some Me time.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great for health, fun, and body composition.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Exercise is great for health, fun, and body composition.

This
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    yes exercising is worth it
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    missnaynay wrote: »
    Hi I've been going to the gym for 2 months now haven't really lost weight mainly gains most weeks I've stuck to my calorie intake but now I haven't been able to reach the gym this week and all of sudden I've dropped 3lbs since Saturday? I weigh daily and I've never lost this much so quickly. Thank you
    Surely you know that the weight you lost wasn't fat.

Let me ask you this would you rather weigh 10 lighter but not be happy with how your body looks or...

Weigh 20 lbs heavier but dig how it looks?

A number shouldn't make you happy unless it's a PR front deadlifting/squatting.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    No retention of water for repair and glycogen storage. You DON'T have to exercise to lose weight. You SHOULD exercise for health and to better your fitness and physique though.
    Think about it: would you rather weigh less but just be a smaller version of yourself or look better and feel better regardless of what the scale says? Unless you go around with your weight stamped on your forehead, no one knows how much you've lost or gained, but they CAN visually see if you're in decent shape or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Keep going to the gym! It probably water.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    No point in me losing weight if I will have no endurance, strength and baby muscles.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    I love exercising ... therefore it is worth it. :)
  • tenmyoujis
    tenmyoujis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    exercise is absolutely worth it. without it, you'll lose pounds on the scale but you'll just look the same but smaller. if you're a circle shape, you'll just be the same circle shape but smaller. exercise will lower your body fat percentage, tone you up, make you stronger, shape your body (small waist and peach booty anybody?), and most importantly, make you feel good. plus it's fun! don't worry about the number on the scale. it's about how you look in the mirror and how you feel. remember that body fat % is more important than weight! i'd rather be the same weight and a size 2 than 20 pounds lighter and a size 6. :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    weight dumps happen to me too if something takes me out of the gym for long enough that my body decides it doesn't need the extra glycogen/water/whatever it's been storing in my muscles.

a week sounds about long enough, but those are one-off scale dips. they're kind of nice in a way, but mostly just because lifting does kind of disguise my 'real' weight and now and then it is nice to get a look at that 'real' number, whatever it is.