Weight loss programs

Options
Angall08
Angall08 Posts: 148 Member
Have any of you used weight loss programs such as Jenny Craig, nutrisystem, weight watchers, ect.

If so was it successful? Did it help you or was it just an absolute waste of money?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Absolute waste of money. I have a hard time with someone telling me what to eat with no rhyme or reason.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to do weight watchers strictly for the support, I think that is OK, but I would not buy the food, it is more economical and healthy to buy your food fresh and prepare it yourself. At the end of the day the "system" is successful because if you follow it you will be in a calorie deficit, I think if you track your food you can accomplish the same thing without them.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The one I used didn't cost a cent, but it was a waste of time and effort. I lost weigh, but regained, and then some. I didn't even understand until several years later, that being told what and when to eat makes me rebellious.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    I have not done any of these "programs" because I know myself, and for me it would be a waste of time and energy. That said, to be fair, I think you've probably got a lot of source bias in putting this question to MFP users. It seems reasonable that for the most part, people who found success with other "programs" aren't as likely to be here as people who did not find success with them.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    All of the above, and then some. Weight Watchers taught me a lot of the tools I now use in calorie counting, how to get the best bang for my buck calorie-wise, bulking up meals with vegetables etc etc. I hear it is a very different program now, though, and people aren't too happy.

The others taught me not a damn thing except not to waste my cash.

I've had more success with MFP than with any of those programs.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've used all of them, and more besides. Nutrisystem didn't work for my simply because the food is so repulsive I couldn't choke it down...and I'll eat almost anything.

I like a structured program. I like having someone make a plan for me. And I like not having to spend every minute of every day focused on shopping, cooking, planning, obsessing over my diet. Do they work? Yes, pretty much all plans that restrict how much you are eating work. Do they work forever? It depends on whether you restrict your calories forever or not. Clearly, I've never learned that. The only plan that has ever worked for me long-term (several years of maintaining my weight) is one that is forbidden to be mentioned by MFP. But I'm not feeling the motivation to do that right now.

Jenny Craig was probably the most valuable to me, but that is because in the distant past their program was different. You had to meet with a counselor once each week and then go to a class another day each week to learn about nutrition and behavior modification, and they had cassette tapes on the same subjects to listen to every night. These days, they have some reading material on the subject, but it isn't the intense in depth learning experience that it was. And they used to really work with you to transition into eating real food. Nowdays, I think you have to fight the counselors to even get them to agree to eat one or two days of your own food, even when the official plan recommends it.

I've spent the most time doing WW (meetings, not online). I thought the support and accountability was invaluable, and once they implemented Points, that really helped free me from some destructive thinking. I would strongly discourage anyone from trying WW as I think their latest program is dangerously unhealthy.

Right now, I'm eating a combination of my own cooking and Bistro MD meals. I like not having to shop and cook constantly so the convenience of frozen meals is nice. But I do like to do some cooking and eating out so just over half of my daily calories come from my own foods, and a couple days a week are all my own. I also like that they have gf meals and most of their meals contain several servings of vegetables with a good portion of protein.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally used any of those but I have 3 close friends who have used Nutrisystem. All of them were successful in that they met their weight loss goals. All of them regained the weight once they stopped the program.

So if you go this route, and I'm not arguing for or against it, I think you should pay close attention to what you are eating on the plan. The types of foods, the portion sizes, etc. You will need that knowledge once you go off the plan if you are to maintain your loss.

Or, simply don't go off the plan. If you have the money, stay on it indefinitely. When you get to your goal weight you could supplement extra calories with whatever you like to maintain. Or they may even have a maintenance plan. I really have never checked.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Angall08 wrote: »
    Have any of you used weight loss programs such as Jenny Craig, nutrisystem, weight watchers, ect.

If so was it successful? Did it help you or was it just an absolute waste of money?

Programs are fine.....while you are on the program OR if you learn about your eating habits.

With Weight Watchers you supply the food. Your choices,* you measure, you count. This helps you learn portion control. However, the points system keeps changing. *Certain foods are penalized (not strictly calories). If you choose to eat bread, then you undereat.......because you used extra points for "bad" choices. Would this be a learning tool for maintenance? Not for me, but I'm sure it would be for some. There are also the in person weigh-ins and meetings. Many people find that helpful.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago I saw a statistic showing that programs like Weight Watchers (those that include meetings and support system) were the most successful. I can't remember if there was a timeframe associated with it or not so not sure if it was simply measuring "goal met" or "goal met and maintain for X amount of time".
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    A problem for me with weight watchers is giving fruit (and actually many vegetables) zero points. It works for someone who doesn't currently eat fruit. For someone who loves fruit, eats a lot of squash and eggplant and beans, and is a bottomless pit in general, it doesn't work.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Just as an example, I think off the top of my head I'd be allowed approx 20 points a day, without the flex points you can spread over the week. What I ate yesterday maxed my calorie allotment on MFP, but because it was mostly raw fruits and veggies, I think I only used about 18 points. Now, using MFP I'm losing exactly on the schedule they predict... I do go over a bit and under a bit day to day of course, but as more of a weekly guideline the calorie counting works for me.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    A problem for me with weight watchers is giving fruit (and actually many vegetables) zero points. It works for someone who doesn't currently eat fruit. For someone who loves fruit, eats a lot of squash and eggplant and beans, and is a bottomless pit in general, it doesn't work.

Yeah, you've gotta use some common sense on WW. When they first introduced Points, they wanted us to eat more fiber. Therefore, the more fiber, the fewer the Points. Not surprisingly, the people who sprinkled tons of fiber on their Haagen Dazs to get it down to 1 Point a carton weren't losing weight. WW quickly put a cap on how much fiber lowered Points. I still remember getting a recipe from my leader: 1 big can pumpkin puree, 1 box sugar free butterscotch pudding mix, 1 carton (I think the whole carton) low fat Cool Whip. The whole massive thing was 1 Point because pumpkin has a lot of fiber. The sad thing is, I can eat that much for dessert and never give it a thought.

Current WW plan doesn't work for me because I eat fruit rarely and do eat higher fat. I do this deliberately for health reasons. I run out of Points at around 800 calories.
  • Peejer2001
    Peejer2001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've done Nutri System, Jenny Craig, fad diets, lo/no carb diets. They all will reduce some weight while you are in the program and sticking to it. Diet is a word we all need to unlearn totally though. I went to a Biggest loser camp in Niagra NY. I learned more about food, benefits of clean eating, evaluating caffeine and artificial sweeteners. We must all learn to eat healthy and stay active. I came home from that experience and threw every prepackaged box of food in the pantry/or refrigerator out !! They are processed food, chemicals, added sugars that all hinder your bodies natural ability to process food efficiently. Veggies, fruit, organic meats ( when you can find and/or afford), eggs, nuts, and whole grains....there are no short cuts other than planning and preparation. Eat real food that 'you' prepare is my suggestion.
  • xcazax
    xcazax Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I lost over 3 stone by following Scottish Slimmers several years ago. Its a great plan and I would totally recommend it. Tried weight watchers in the past but wasn't a fan. A lot of girls at my work are following slimming world and are loosing weight.
  • caryll4
    caryll4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What is Scottish Slimmers
  • caryll4
    caryll4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am 72, done weight watchers for 50 years, started with exchanges, fit fiber,both point programs I did reach my goal on exchange program, but gained half back been trying to use the new point program until a month ago, now it is way to strick, as far as food with sugar , they have ruined the program, now I am doing my fitness pal and love it , enough of weight watchers for me