Ribs showing but I am not underweight?

2»

Replies

• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    I can see my ribs, collar bones, hip bones and the top of my sternum. I also have those triangle shaped indentations under my collarbones. And I still have weight to lose. I will probably never have a flat tummy (it pokes out but is hard with loose skin). It all depends on body fat distribution.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Nothing that you're describing indicates any sort of problem with your body. I am currently at the upper end of the "ideal" BMI range for my height. What you're describing in terms of body shape sounds a lot like me.

To me, it sounds more like an idea that your anxiety has caused you to fixate on. I've been there myself. I've sometimes found completely unconcerning things about my body and convinced myself that they were problems, or developed panic attacks over very minor symptoms because I was afraid that they meant I had something fatal. So I would suggest that your concerns may be related to your anxiety rather than your physical health. Are you seeing a professional for your anxiety and panic attacks?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited June 2017
    OP, I have a nearly identical BMI to you -- I weigh less, but I'm also shorter -- and have a similar "issue". (I don't see it as a problem, though...) For me, it's because despite having toothpick wrists and ankles, the rest of my frame isn't small -- I'm broad shouldered, and have a large rib cage. So on people like us, we don't have to be underweight to have bones showing through.

I understand the frustration. I carry the bulk of my weight (no pun intended) in my torso. I'm perplexed at how my ribs can show, yet I've got all that fat in the front. But, I know that I'm dealing with dysmorphia, so it's not supposedly/technically a problem with the abdomen, as much as it is with how I view it. My hips are between 34-35 inches these days, and I'm frustrated that things aren't evening out more... but I know that is my issue to work through.

If you see this as a problem, maybe consider trying to add more weight on, and becoming more "equal" in that regard? I know that's not my goal, but I'm also not hung up on the fact that you can see my ribs. So you may need to decide whether it's worth having the visible ribs and hips, or whether it is better to accept the ab fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    If you are struggling to have a flat stomach, and since you are at the low end of the weight spectrum, it's probably driven by the fact you have low amounts of lean body mass to enable you to have a flat stomach. If your goal is to have a flat stomach, you might need to add some muscle first, and then cut any new fat gains... and then rinse and repeat until you enjoy the results. While the below link is extreme, it' demonstrates what I mean.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    There's a difference between being able to see your rib cage and having prominent indentations between individual ribs. The difference can be seen if you look up pictures of a healthy weight dog.