Loose skin at 22

Options
nanagetshealthier
nanagetshealthier Posts: 29 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Will losing 3lbs per week result in me having loose skin? I'm only 22 years old.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,066 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you need to lose to be in your healthy weight BMI?
  • nanagetshealthier
    Options
    How much weight do you need to lose to be in your healthy weight BMI?

13kgs to go
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Two things: Young people, and you are still young and your brain is not yet fully formed, can lose a lot of weight and show loose skin for a period of time and it, by the virtue of youth, reforms itself to a tight-fitting cover of the body they have. The other thing is that losing 3 lb per week stops being a good idea when your weight is below 300 lb.

An addendum to those things is that the rapid and probably severely low calorie way you are losing weight is the most certain way to fail at weight loss and regain all and more of the weight you've lost. You're poor skin. Thinking it could shrink, it will discover that it must expand more.

There is a way to be young, lose weight, avoid all but the briefest time of loose skin, feel great and look fabulous. Being a young woman, "look fabulous" is of the highest order of importance to you. Which is sad, because "feel great" is way more durable than "look fabulous". Anyway, change your weight loss weekly target from 3 lb to 1 or 0.5 and then do eat all the calories you're allowed to on that easier goal, and most importantly undertake a disciplined program of progressive heavy lifting.

The progressive heavy lifting will more effectively serve the goals of avoiding loose skin, feeling great, and looking fabulous than anything else you do.
  • nanagetshealthier
    Options
    Two things: Young people, and you are still young and your brain is not yet fully formed, can lose a lot of weight and show loose skin for a period of time and it, by the virtue of youth, reforms itself to a tight-fitting cover of the body they have. The other thing is that losing 3 lb per week stops being a good idea when your weight is below 300 lb.

An addendum to those things is that the rapid and probably severely low calorie way you are losing weight is the most certain way to fail at weight loss and regain all and more of the weight you've lost. You're poor skin. Thinking it could shrink, it will discover that it must expand more.

There is a way to be young, lose weight, avoid all but the briefest time of loose skin, feel great and look fabulous. Being a young woman, "look fabulous" is of the highest order of importance to you. Which is sad, because "feel great" is way more durable than "look fabulous". Anyway, change your weight loss weekly target from 3 lb to 1 or 0.5 and then do eat all the calories you're allowed to on that easier goal, and most importantly undertake a disciplined program of progressive heavy lifting.

The progressive heavy lifting will more effectively serve the goals of avoiding loose skin, feeling great, and looking fabulous than anything else you do.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.
    However if my maintenance calorie intake is 1500 but I burn 2000 calories a day, wouldn't that be healthy?
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You do not want to do 3 lbs a week. 3 lbs a week is awful and is a great way to fall into a pattern of starve and binge. The most anyone should attempt is 2 lbs per week, which is a 1000 calorie deficit. The only way to go higher than that is if you are seeing a doctor who specializes in treating patients who are doing low calorie diets, and you have regular lab work and so on. You can trash your organ function and make yourself sick doing more than that. I spent almost a year nauseous after attempting that. It was awful!

A 750 calorie deficit is a lot easier to do for an extended period of time, that's about 1.5 lbs per week.

As far as loose skin goes, it's genetics mostly which determines how badly your skin will sag. I had sagging skin losing the weight when I was 17. I had a belly flap that never went away, would have had to have it surgically removed. But, back then, all my other skin snapped back fine, just the belly skin didn't go away.
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Op, what's your current height and weight?
  • JeromeBarry1
    Options
    Please tell us how tall you are. Mayhaps a woman similar to you can chime in on the "1500 maintenance" thing. That number seems low, but if you're exceptionally short it may be reasonable.
    You say you're burning 2000 calories daily. Is that your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) or exclusively your exercise calories which in your highly intense focus you are not fueling with the eating back of exercise calories?
  • nanagetshealthier
    Options
    You do not want to do 3 lbs a week. 3 lbs a week is awful and is a great way to fall into a pattern of starve and binge. The most anyone should attempt is 2 lbs per week, which is a 1000 calorie deficit. The only way to go higher than that is if you are seeing a doctor who specializes in treating patients who are doing low calorie diets, and you have regular lab work and so on. You can trash your organ function and make yourself sick doing more than that. I spent almost a year nauseous after attempting that. It was awful!

A 750 calorie deficit is a lot easier to do for an extended period of time, that's about 1.5 lbs per week.

As far as loose skin goes, it's genetics mostly which determines how badly your skin will sag. I had sagging skin losing the weight when I was 17. I had a belly flap that never went away, would have had to have it surgically removed. But, back then, all my other skin snapped back fine, just the belly skin didn't go away.

I was planning to eat 2k calories a day so I don't think I would starve but I'll aim for 2lbs per week.
  • nanagetshealthier
    Options

I'm 59kg and I'm 4'10
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I'm 59kg and I'm 4'10

Even if you exercise daily you probably wont lose much on 2000 because your only 130lbs and short... you should probably aim lower unless you are very active (like an athlete).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

I was planning to eat 2k calories a day so I don't think I would starve but I'll aim for 2lbs per week.

With only 28.6 pounds to lose, a more appropriate weight loss goal is 1 pound a week. I'm sure someone will be in to explain the math behind this.

That said, your math seems off. How many calories do you plan on burning via exercise and how do you plan to achieve this?
  • xchocolategirl
    edited June 2017
    Options

I'm 59kg and I'm 4'10

Thanks!! I did a google search and that brought me to 130 pounds (correct me if I'm wrong anyone).

If this value is correct that means you're just a tiny bit overweight. If you wanted to get down to a normal
    BMI you would have to lose 11 pounds. If you want to lose weight I would recommend not trying to lose 3 pounds a weeks. Losing weight quickly can trigger things such as stretch marks and loose skin.

I would recommend you try to lose weight in a more healthy manner try to lose 0.5 pounds a week instead. This will allow you to continue to eat more food, and I would recommend incorporating a workout routine that involves cardio and strength training. Remember no rush exists.

If you're okay with your weight you can also try body recomposition and adding in a strength training aspect to your workout. This will allow you to eat at maintenance and just work on reducing your body fat and not trying to lose weight.

Good luck!!
  • nanagetshealthier
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

I'm 59kg and I'm 4'10

Even if you exercise daily you probably wont lose much on 2000 because your only 130lbs and short... you should probably aim lower unless you are very active (like an athlete).

What if I burned 2k calories everyday? Wouldn't that create a 1k deficit?
  • xchocolategirl
    Options
    Also eat back at least half of the calories that you end up burning working out. Op burning 2,000 calories in one workout doesn't seem probable. If you don't have a heart rate monitor or an activity tracker I would recommend investing in one.
  • nanagetshealthier
    Options
    Also eat back at least half of the calories that you end up burning working out. Op burning 2,000 calories in one workout doesn't seem probable. If you don't have a heart rate monitor or an activity tracker I would recommend investing in one.

Yeah you're right, it's better to lose the weight in a healthy way and avoid gaining it back and getting loose skin. I'll have a bikini body in time for next year's summer haha. Thanks for the advice!

• JeromeBarry1
    Options
    You'll look better in a bikini in July than you look in a bikini in May, just lift heavy and be patient. Read the success stories and see the photos of the women who lift.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

I'm 59kg and I'm 4'10

What if I burned 2k calories everyday? Wouldn't that create a 1k deficit?

I hope you're talking about total daily burn and NOT 2000 calories burned from exercise! I'd have to run 20 miles to get that kind of a burn. (I'm 5'7" and weigh between 135-140.) That sounds excessive. And if you're also underfeeding yourself and failing to refuel so your body can recover, I don't think you'll be able to keep up with those kinds of burns for very long before you crash. I'm glad to see you're reconsidering the idea of such an extreme deficit. It's not sustainable. It's easier (both to lose and maintain) if you do it more gradually. Sure, it's slower, but rushing the process isn't worth it, IMO. Good luck! :)