What are realistic goals?

Options
Greetings!

I am 54 mom of 4, 5'6 and 215 pounds. Muscles under all the fluff. Medium build. What should I aim for as a healthy weight. I'd love some advice! And friends to encourage!

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Yep, top of the range is 154-155lbs (I'm also 5'6" and, since my scale only does half pound increments, I'm at "normal" BMI at 154.5 but "overweight" at 155).

Personally I'm aiming for about 140-145, which is the range I was at in my early twenties, but I don't know if I'll get there. It may be difficult for me to be committed enough to reach it, but I'm going for 150 first and reassessing at that point. I'm 51 and started at 217lbs (maybe about 220 a couple of months before I joined MFP), so very similar stats to yours.

It's really up to you what you feel comfortable at, but there's nothing wrong with starting out at a higher goal and adjusting it as you get closer and see how you look and feel! :)

Seeing some success helps too - my initial goal was 160 and I didn't really have much hope that I'd make it. I've adjusted it downwards more than once as I've gained more confidence in my ability to control my portions and be aware of my eating habits. :)
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I keep adjusting my goal weight as I get to the number I think is "it" and realize I could keep going.

I think the advice about getting into the health BMI range is a good goal. It was pretty awesome when I went from "overweight" to "normal." :smile: Also, consider making mini-goals along the way. I am at the point where I take it in 5-pound increments.
  • GMPOTS
    GMPOTS Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and I feel great at 160, I am 67 and 228, I hope for 150, but happy to get down to 160.00. I take it one pound at a time.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I keep adjusting my goal weight as I get to the number I think is "it" and realize I could keep going.

I think the advice about getting into the health BMI range is a good goal. It was pretty awesome when I went from "overweight" to "normal." :smile: Also, consider making mini-goals along the way. I am at the point where I take it in 5-pound increments.

This is a good point! For me, looking at the whole thing as, "Oh crap, I need to lose 60-70lbs!" was too overwhelming. Taking it ten pounds at a time to begin with was really helpful and gave me achievable goals to work towards and lots of opportunities to celebrate!

Now, because my loss has slowed down so much (10-15lbs to go and I changed my goal to 0.5lbs/week so I could eat more!), every pound is worth a celebration! ;)

I'd suggest taking photos and measurements too, and update them regularly along your journey. I know that many of us don't like photos when we're heavier (or at all, in some cases!), but you'll be glad you have them later. And sometimes it can be really hard to see a difference in the mirror, so being able to compare photos shows you that you ARE succeeding. Measurements are great for the times when the scale doesn't seem to move much, too. :)
  • Going2Getthere22
    Going2Getthere22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That's good advice from Tiny_Dancer - I would do that too...check what the BMI (Body Mass Index) is for your height, and go from there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I never had a particular number in mind where the scale was concerned...I knew how I wanted to look, but I had no idea what the scale weight would be for the way I wanted to look. I just let the mirror be my guide.