Transitioning from treadmill to outdoor running

Options
I want to transition from treadmill to outdoor running. I am doing the C25K program, I do 3 days a week, 30 mins at 4.0-4.4 mph which comes out to about 2.2-2.5 miles. But I am an epic fail when it comes to running outside, last time I tried, I made it only about 1/3 of a mile. I started using a 0.5 incline on the treadmill with the thought of increasing it to 1-1.5 (at 0.5 increase per week) to see if that helps me outside. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Treadmill running is definitely way different from outdoor, but don't get discouraged. Start doing incline intervals on the treadmill to mimic (as much as possible) the changing terrain of the outdoors. Also, I would try to get in at least one day of outdoor running no matter if you run 1/3 of a mile or 1 mile. The sooner you get your mind (cuz really that's gonna control everything) focused on running outside, the better. I started with the treadmill and I assure you, outdoor running does become easier and more enjoyable. Best of luck.