Do I weight before or after ?

Options
'Made up as directed' and 'cooked as per instructions'. Asda the good and balanced red lentils and the sainsbury red lentils bother have these headings per 100g. I was wondering if you measure the lentils before or after its cooked ? I'm not sure if I've been logging and weighing it properly, leading me to overestimate my calorie count. Many thanks.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I weigh them dried as people cook them to different consistency's which can make the calorie count harder to judge.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Dried, because you measure them before you cook them, right? otherwise you might cook too much.
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For the 'made as directed' stuff they usually tell you how much dry should make the 100g cooked, so I weigh dry and then log as cooked ie if 70g dry made 100g cooked according to the packet I would weigh 70g and log 100g cooked that way if I cook mine more or less than expected it doesn't matter because I know how much went into it.

As people above mentioned of you cook it more or less then stated the weight of the cooked product will vary for the same calorie count, dry is the most accurate.
  • mariejade96
    mariejade96 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh them dried as people cook them to different consistency's which can make the calorie count harder to judge.

Thank you
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Any grains, legumes, or pasta I'll portion out dry and log accordingly. If I'm doing a batch of rice for the week I'll weigh out 4 portions dry (my work week is on 4 off 3), cook them and then weigh the fluffier total and divide by 4. A 40g dry portion fluffs to over 100g cooked, for example.

Lentils may not fluff as much but dry weigh, definitely.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    OP if you measure them dry you need to find another entry for the calories. The calories on the packet for 100gr are given for 'cooked as per instructions' not for raw.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I think it might also mean cooked plain in water instead in a recipe using other ingredients.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Thank you

You made me fancy lentils, thankfully I had some home made soup in the freezer :D