Gained 4lbs? :(

Options
Been dieting for a month today, been weighing myself a few times per week but recording every Thursday morning.

Monday, I was down 3lbs from last week. Last night, had a cheat meal which I didn't really want to do before today but I figured it wouldn't really effect the scales.. Woke up 4lbs heavier than Monday. What gives?

Stuck to a high protein, fruit and veg diet all week. Drink about 2L of water per day. Worked out (cardio) 4x since last Thursday. I'm confused and disheartened.. :(

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It sounds just like water weight from a high salt meal.

Could it be your ovulation week as well? I shoot up a few lbs 8 days before my period.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Relax. 1 lb is about 3500 calories you did not overeat by 4lbs. It is likely you consumed extra salt which is retaining water plus the extra weight of the food itself is still in your gi track. Relax eat sensible and you will poop and pee out the change in a day or two
  • metalbish
    metalbish Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It sounds just like water weight from a high salt meal.

Could it be your ovulation week as well? I shoot up a few lbs 8 days before my period.

It could possibly be, will need to check my calendar when I get home from work. I'm wondering if it's water retention in my muscles? I weigh 17st currently and am doing c25k felt it in my knees on Tuesday..

Still don't think that could account for 4lbs.
  • metalbish
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Relax. 1 lb is about 3500 calories you did not overeat by 4lbs. It is likely you consumed extra salt which is retaining water plus the extra weight of the food itself is still in your go track. Relax eat sensible and you will poop and pee out the change in a day or two

My partner said the exact same thing this morning when I flailing and huffing at 5am hahaha! No, I most certainly did not. About 500cal tops. Thank you :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Maybe recording your weigh ins into one of the trending apps (such as Libra) might help you see the long term trend and ignore or accept the totally normal fluctuations?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    metalbish wrote: »
    Been dieting for a month today, been weighing myself a few times per week but recording every Thursday morning.

Monday, I was down 3lbs from last week. Last night, had a cheat meal which I didn't really want to do before today but I figured it wouldn't really effect the scales.. Woke up 4lbs heavier than Monday. What gives?

Stuck to a high protein, fruit and veg diet all week. Drink about 2L of water per day. Worked out (cardio) 4x since last Thursday. I'm confused and disheartened.. :(

what was your cheat meal?
  • shyhall
    shyhall Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Best thing is to weigh and record yourself twice a week, then as you fluctuate up and down, you will see the gradual trend of weight loss better.

Water weight can be caused by many things:-

- Too much salt leads to water retention
    - Dehydration, not drinking enough leads to water retention
    - Eating a high carb meal does as well, you need extra water for each gram of carbs eaten
    - Hormones

The good news is it's only temporary, if you have a day or two of the above it will lead to weight increase.
    But the good news is that it's not real weight and will soon be lost.

I weigh myself midweek as it's then that I'm more likely to have kept to my diet, it's then that the weight loss shows.
    I also weigh myself at the start of the weekend, before I crumple. Lol
  • metalbish
    edited June 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Maybe recording your weigh ins into one of the trending apps (such as Libra) might help you see the long term trend and ignore or accept the totally normal fluctuations?

I think I'll have to, just hard to break the habit of once per week :)
  • metalbish
    Options

Special fried rice w/ curry sauce and banana fritters..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

carbtastic! from a take away?
  • metalbish
    Options

Yus.. And it wasn't worth it, goodness me. Lesson learned!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

You might be surprised to hear someone ask this, but why wouldn't it be worth it? Gaining water weight for a couple of days after a meal is no big deal and there is nothing inherently wrong with that. Further, gaining water weight from muscle repair is a good thing. If you eat at a calorie deficit you burn fat. If you burn fat at 2 lbs per week, it could show up on the scale as -8 (loss of water weight would exaggerate your loss) or +5 (water weight gain could mask your loss).

Unless you have other health issues dealing with water retention, it's a part of life. And you should know that your weight has fluctuated up and down your whole life, whether you are trying to lose weight, stay the same, or gain. You're just paying closer attention now because you want the number to go down.

It won't be last time you wake up 4 lbs heavier than you might expect. It's been a month for you. You will need a couple of months before you can really see trend. Time and trend. They're your friends.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

You might be surprised to hear someone ask this, but why wouldn't it be worth it? Gaining water weight for a couple of days after a meal is no big deal and there is nothing inherently wrong with that. Further, gaining water weight from muscle repair is a good thing. If you eat at a calorie deficit you burn fat. If you burn fat at 2 lbs per week, it could show up on the scale as -8 (loss of water weight would exaggerate your loss) or +5 (water weight gain could mask your loss).

Unless you have other health issues dealing with water retention, it's a part of life. And you should know that your weight has fluctuated up and down your whole life, whether you are trying to lose weight, stay the same, or gain. You're just paying closer attention now because you want the number to go down.

It won't be last time you wake up 4 lbs heavier than you might expect. It's been a month for you. You will need a couple of months before you can really see trend. Time and trend. They're your friends.

i presumed OP meant not worth it as in the meal wasn't very nice so not worth the calories.

-ahh, could be. In which case my whole question on worth probably doesn't apply, does it...?
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think there are many videos on YouTube that discuss just how much weight fluctuates. You eat a nice meal full of salt, you're going to notice it on the scale. It takes 3500 calories beyond your maintenance goal to actually gain a single pound of fat. It's water and should come off in the next couple of days.

Fight water retention with upping your water. Have an extra glass or two if you're really concerned about it.

I had several hefty meal weekends last month. Did my monthly progress post on Instagram and I was just over 10lbs down. In a month where I had fun socially.

(My loss is taking into consideration I'm still in the upper 200s so it may be a bit more aggressive than the suggested 2lb a week loss. Don't be discouraged if you are not losing upwards of 10lbs a month. 4 to 8 is freaking amazing.)
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    On tuesday morning I was down lb from my friday weigh in (210lbs down to 209lb)
    yesterday was my daughters birthday and we had a family bbq, although I didnt eat loads I did drink a fair bit and spent the night feeling like my mouth had dried up completely and what i did eat was high in salt......got on the scale this morning to see 214lbs, i was expecting it to be up but was shocked at by how much.

Needless to say im on the water today in the hope that atleast some of that weight is gonna flush out.

Iv also had a poo for the first time in 3 days due to constipation caused by my meds (sorry tmi lol) which im guessing is also gonna help with getting those numbers back down