Need tips on running in the heat

Options
I am new to running, but have absolutely fallen in love with it. Today I pushed myself too hard in the heat and have some mild heatstroke. I want to be able to run even on hot days and I know people do it. So what do I need to do when I run on hot days to avoid heatstroke?

Replies

• bfinup
    bfinup Posts: 47
    Options
    Run slower
    Drink plenty of water pre run
    Bring water with you on the run.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i like those but i cant run with water!! i suck like that lol
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Invest in a camel pack. You need to hydrate before, during and after your run. If you live in an area where it is hot (like I do) then you need to stay hydrated big time.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I got a headache last time I ran.. I went for to long I think in the heat. Water helps a lot, I carry a waterbottle over my shoulder. It gets heavy at times, but after awhile I got used to having it on me.

One thing I noticed and maybe it's just me but when I got a bad headache I would slow down and jog slower or just walk and raise my head to look up until the headache eased down.. I don't know if that helps everyone.. but for some reason looking up calms my head after a few minutes. Not sure if you had a headache with it or not.

My husband on the other hand jogged so long in the heat he threw up and could barely stand :( My suggestion on that one is go as early in the morning as you can before the sun is at it's hottest or if that's not possible as soon as it's going down before it gets dark.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and a little Gatorade. Eat lots of veggies and fruits to help you keep hydrated.

Wear super light clothing. I have thin cotton t-shirts that I like to run in.

And try to keep to the shade. I live near a park with lots of trails that run through the woods. I wouldn't run half as long if I didn't have the tree coverage!
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If you can, try to run earlier in the morning or later in the evening when (if) things cool down. Also agree with the going slower and having lots of water. A super hot day is not the day to try for your best time ever.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I don't run a lot, but I do it in triple-digit weather -- and I walk for hours in that heat on a regular basis. Aside from conditioning myself to be out in it, here's what helps me.

1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Before and during. This can't be emphasized enough. I drink a quart before going out, carry a cold quart with me, and duck in to buy another when I've emptied it. Yes, this means taking a bathroom break. It also means forcing yourself to come in for a little while, and that helps. Some people drink Gatorade or some other electrolyte-y thing to replenish the minerals they sweat off. I find a bottle of Perrier works quite well. YMMV.
    2. Don't wear antiperspirant. Let the sweat flow, except into your eyes of course.
    3. Your hair looks longish like mine. Shower right before running. Then put your hair up (e.g., in a bun or a clip) while it's wet.
    4. Wearing a hat is a mixed bag - it keeps direct sun off, but holds in the heat you generate. YMMV. Sometimes I find one helpful for shorter jaunts.
    5. Clothes, either strip down to the essentials (sports bra and close-fitting shorts) or make sure what you wear is light-colored and reflective, but not heavy. Surprisingly, natural fibers can hold the heat in more than today's synthetics.
    6. Seek the shade. Run on the side of the street that has shade from trees or buildings. Also sprinklers and water fountains.
    7. You might try a cool scarf. They take advance preparation, but the effect is pretty nice for a couple hours. Search Amazon for the phrase. Sometimes you can get one for as little as a buck at the local big-box store.
    8. Take breaks when you need them, and don't be an idiot. If your heart is racing and your face is beet-red and you're feeling dizzy, STOP. Sit down or bend over, whatever it takes to get your head lower than your torso. Breathe deeply. If you can get somewhere cooler, do.

That's about it off the top of my head. I'm sure some runners will chime in with helpful advice. This is more "desert rat/coping with the heat" advice. Good luck!
  • sweetTN
    sweetTN Posts: 13
    Options
    My problem is that I work nights 3 days in a row and so the only time I have to run is around 4 in the afternoon. I live in Vancouver, WA, so it doesn't usaully get super hot, but today I ran an hour in mid 80 degree heat. I threw up and my extremities were mottled and my face was as white as a sheet. My stomach was cramping something fierce. I don't carry water with me, so maybe that's what I need to start doing.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    One more suggestion -- Don't sprint and then jog. Instead, finish strong: Jog until you're close to packing it in, and then get in your faster running, especially when there's an air-conditioned destination. For me, this makes the difference between finishing the run and having to quit.