Electric Scale vs Regular Scale

Options
I'm getting ready to buy a scale & was wondering should I buy an electric scale or not? I was told by someone that their weight fluctuates a lot on an electrical scale than a regular scale. Is this true? Do they have to constantly be calaborated? Any scale suggestions for me?? Thanks!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think there is much difference between the two. I've owned both kinds over the years. Body weight fluctuates daily, so of course that will show up on the scale. I've only ever checked the accuracy of my electronic scale once, to see if it was accurate when I bought it. Whereas I know I have had to adjust the dial on the manual scales a couple of times. I own some weight watchers body fat scales for about £20 and they are fairly close to my doctors, so I guess they are accurate enough.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I like(and yes I know it's not super accurate) the BF/Hydration estimates that I get from my electronic scale.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have a salter electric scale (just weight nothing fancy) I also use it to check the weight of my luggage when I'm flying and it's pretty accurate. It gives me accuracy to a quarter of a pound and I like that, with mechanical scales it's harder to see the incremental drops. I do sometimes check it by holding weights when I step on to see if the increase is the same as the weights mass and I've never needed to recalibrate it in the years I've owned it just needed to change the batteries when it requires. Whether it's mechanical or digital any set of scales may need recalibration and sometimes you need to change the batteries in a digital scale if it's being unreliable. :)
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I had an analog scale for a few years and when I finally got my digital scale it was like angels singing, but that's just me. The digital scale just made me happy. No bouncing needle, no "is this calibrated? Did it actually start on zero?" No tilting side to side to see which line the needle is actually on. Ugh, it was just another thing to aggravate my former eating disorder. Digital scales just help me stay in a better place mentally.