Losing weight while having depression

So I'm currently working on losing weight and I noticed I really struggle with sticking to everything. I realized a lot of it has to do with my depression and I didn't know if anyone here struggles and has some advice to help out.

Replies

• burntoutphilosopher
    burntoutphilosopher Posts: 74 Member
    Best advice I can give is ... force yourself to move.
    Excersize really does fight depression ... I find I cannot get the motivation for treadmill time etc when I'm down ... but if I can just go do 20 minutes of weight lifting ... it'll spark my motivation.
    Lifting heavy weights has a far more pronounced effect on my mood than does cardio.

Also ... even if you just can't excersize...ive been there ... take a bed day ... but do NOT eat above your bmr. Mentslly Make food a treat you earn ... not an entitlement.

Everyone is so different... thus is just what works for me.
  • fat2fit302015
    fat2fit302015 Posts: 22 Member
    I've struggled with depression recently and put on loads of weight. Eventually I decided to take Meds for it and felt so much better. Started eating healthy and low calorie and again felt better. I'm not able to exercise but I know that would also help as it releases endorphins. I still feel low on days but nowhere near as bad as before feel free to add me for any support you need. No judgements.
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    Exercise is what keeps me going. If I stop, it's all downhill from there. Even though getting started on some days is hard, I know I have to do it. Exercise keeps me feeling alright/good and I feel I have accomplished something, perhaps even pushed myself and feel great about that.
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    I felt depressed today and down. I felt a breakdown coming on because I am homesick and miss my family. I fought the feeling of just really wanting to cry all day and instead drove to the gym, put my tunes on and went at it! I didn't even think about my sadness anymore. I even came home and cooked a light, delicious meal of fish with veggies. I actually feel really good right now. :) I had this mindset like you over the past weeks to months and I finally just joined a gym and went for it. I'm loving it and it's only half the week!
  • meg_mindbody
    meg_mindbody Posts: 23 Member
    Missycvt wrote: »
    I felt depressed today and down. I felt a breakdown coming on because I am homesick and miss my family. I fought the feeling of just really wanting to cry all day and instead drove to the gym, put my tunes on and went at it! I didn't even think about my sadness anymore. I even came home and cooked a light, delicious meal of fish with veggies. I actually feel really good right now. :) I had this mindset like you over the past weeks to months and I finally just joined a gym and went for it. I'm loving it and it's only half the week!

I struggle with staying motivated when I'm going through low points. What do you do to get yourself to the gym? Do you have any tips to fight through those feelings? I find that I have the hardest time wanting to do anything, let alone exercise!
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    I fight the same. Depression is no joke and it's really hard. Just keep pushing and know you're doing the best you can! Surround yourself with people that will help and listen. You got this! Feel free to add me if you'd like. :)
  • jglhklhgl
    jglhklhgl Posts: 41 Member
    I struggle with depression too. I will say since I started eating healthier and working out the past month has made a huge difference. Add me if you need a motivating pal!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,059 Member
    Its a horrible cycle to be in. To want to make yourself feel good but don't want to do the action that will make you feel better.

I always flit between doing loads and then nothing.
    But every time i realize I've slipped more into my depression I get back on it again and push my self Just for one day.

One day is achievable, there's not a lot of pressure for one day.
    And by the end of that day, when you've had a good day of eating and exercise, you feel good, and guess what.. you then WANT to do it the next day.

And a few weeks may go by and you'll start doing less and eating more then you do it again, prove for one day you can do what you need to and pick up your motivation again!

I've been low this past week, but today to mark my 100 day streak I ate well and exercised. I feel good. Tired and achey, but good!

Give it a try for one day, do everything by the book and see how you feel!