Intermittent fasting

Options
13»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Trina_AMG wrote: »
    I've been doing 18/6 and staying under 1k calories I've lost 6.4pounds in four days! I wish to keep it up as long as I can and hopefully my drop stays consistent. I haven't incorporated exercise yet but I will soon

Oh my - hopefully your drop DOESN'T stay consistent. 4.6 pounds in 4 days would be a weekly average of 8.05 pounds. Much of this is loss is water weight (thankfully) as your body can only metabolize so much fat in a day.

Also - unless you are under medical supervision you should be eating at least 1200 calories (before exercise)....it's really hard to get adequate nutrition on less. It's harder for our bodies to fuel existing lean muscle mass on large deficits. The trade-off for fast weight loss is a higher % of body fat.
  • kmaf2018
    kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started this on Friday, first fast was 19hrs, yesterdays was 22hrs...however I feel it will be more beneficial to me if I stick to the 16:8 through the week as I will nreak my fast after my workout which will be around 1.15pm...

But I do have a question :-) what if my fast is longer but its not purposely done? Will it effect me unhealthily? By this I mean, here would be my typical day:

Break Fast at 1.30pmish? (After workout)
    7pmish (no later) is when I would eat my Dinner but then I dont plan on eating anything after this as I would most probably have eaten my daily calories which means the next day when I break my fast I will have fasted for 18.5 hrs....is this ok??
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 23:1. One meal a day. Love it. Switched from keto. Keto was too restricting for me and I always craved sweets. One meal, anything I want, hardly counting, just eat till stuffed! I tried 16:8, 18:6.. but it just got me eating too much for those hours. So I limit to one meal, done. It's pretty easy.
    10637291 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 23:1 at the moment, combined with Keto, I am hoping that it will help me loose the amount I need so that my Dr. will stop looking at me funny. So far I am finding the combination to be great, I have not weighed myself yet as it is too soon for that, but was wondering if anyone knew of any other ways to optimize weightless (I do cardio too, though I am dying at the gym at the moment).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I hope those that are doing longer than the 16:8 or even doing a one meal a day is getting in their calories mfp set for you.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I hope those that are doing longer than the 16:8 or even doing a one meal a day is getting in their calories mfp set for you.

Definitely! I make sure to eat at my maintenance at my one meal. That's why I am so full from it! Eat like a King!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »

Definitely! I make sure to eat at my maintenance at my one meal. That's why I am so full from it! Eat like a King!

thats great. some people think otherwise of fasting so wanted to clear that part up :)
  • derricka92
    derricka92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing the 16:8 fasting I started at the end of may and have lost almost 30pounds so far.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited July 2017
    Options
    derricka92 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm doing the 16:8 fasting I started at the end of may and have lost almost 30pounds so far.

that sounds like very aggressive weight loss. how many calories are you eating? almost 30 lbs inless than a month or so is too much unless you are severely obese? Im talking over 400 lbs.fasting isnt supposed to equal fast weight loss its supposed to be to help adhere to your calorie allowance.
  • xxprisinhaxx3232
    xxprisinhaxx3232 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Does anyone do IF along with Keto? I've been Keto since January 1st and thinking of incorporating IF.

I do! Been doing Keto for almost 6 months and fasting for about 5. I do 20:4. I love it! It has helped so much with my binge eating.
    Feel free to ask any questions :)

• bex34mfp
    bex34mfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! New to fasting and planning a 16:8 lifestyle! Please feel free to add me as a friend, the more the better I have a lot of weight to lose x
  • igarcia13
    igarcia13 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I was reading a little about this, but for how long is it okay to do? It seems like it may be okay short term, but long term I don't imagine it's healthy :neutral:

Some people Intermittent Fast naturally (breakfast skippers for example) so they do it basically for the rest of their lives.
    My brother is not a breakfast fan and basically does IF naturally. This guy eats nothing but junk and barely gains weight.
  • vganggirl
    vganggirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey I unknowingly have been doing intermittent fasting for like 5 years, I can't stand to eat in the mornings, so it suits me well
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Neens26 wrote: »
    Intermittent fasting works differently for women than men. Our bodies react badly to stress and it can start to hold on to fat if not done correctly. You have to find what works for you but don't do it only eating one meal a day every day, also when you do alot of exercise. Have a look at Dr Eric Berg on youtube he is really informative and has a lot about insulin.
    @Neens26
    Is this the same Dr Eric Berg who practises these techniques?
    The Body Restoration Technique ("BRT"), a procedure whereby vials of distilled water containing homeopathic imprints are held over certain designated body organs or parts while the practitioner applies tactile pressure through tapping or rubbing acupressure points, allegedly to assist in restoring hormone balance and to address other symptoms;

ii. Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Technique ("NAET"), a technique that uses pressure points in certain locations of the body allegedly to improve food allergies and environmental and chemical sensitivities;

iii. Contact Reflex Analysis ("CRA"), an alleged nutritional analysis that relies on muscle testing and acupuncture points; and

iv. Acoustic Cardiograph (" ACG"), an alleged nutritional evaluation based on heart sounds recorded and visualized on a graph.

As well as using the designation "Dr." without clarifying that he is a doctor of chiropractic.

Have a read of the full text here https://www.casewatch.org/board/chiro/berg.shtml and then decide for yourself if this person sounds like a reliable source of information.