First Gym Membership

Options
Hi,

I am making the big decision to join a gym today. I have been using MFP since January and have lost 30lbs by tracking my calaries. I currently weight 306 and want to get under 200lbs. I think I am going to start my workout journey with Stronglift 5x5, but also wanted to see if there are other programs that might be better to start with. I pretty much have a sedentary lifestyle, and need to get my *kitten* moving. I could also use the support and motivation to keep going as well. If you have any guidance you would like to share please comment and add me as a friend.

Thanks!

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Your gym may offer the option for a trainer to talk to you and figure out a programme for you personally; if so, I'd take advantage of it :)
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I personally don't know what the stronglift program is, but I would do a mix of cardio and weights. Both have helped me, plus for me, the difference makes it easier for me to keep with it. Congrats on starting your exercising! Good luck with it and feel free to add me as a friend, I love to help motivate people and have people motivate me!
  • 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Congrats for making the step to join. I was so overweight and scared when I joined the gym that I hid in the locker room from the manager when he was trying to show me around. The first months I couldn't talk to anybody or even look up from the floor. But I had a personal trainer and in time became more confident and now I absolutely love training and working out. I've made huge progress and joining the gym was one of the best things I could have done. I do weights and cardio and that really works for me. You got this! Friend me if you like. I'm willing to give support.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There are tons of beginner programs out there...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

SL 5x5 is a solid program, but not really my cup of tea...I'm more into general fitness and overall athleticism vs maximizing strength gains. If you want to maximize strength gains in the most linear fashion possible, SL would probably be the way to go.
  • hsparksjr1980
    hsparksjr1980 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! There are a lot of options. Any additional information or comments are welcomed.