I want to lose 9lb in four weeks anyone any tips

Options

Replies

• ashleighroy7
    ashleighroy7 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No just a wee kickstart so if I'm supposed to eat 2000 cals a day but I only eat 1200 not exercise will I not lose 2lb a week?
  • ashleighroy7
    Options
    And exercise sorry
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    No just a wee kickstart so if I'm supposed to eat 2000 cals a day but I only eat 1200 not exercise will I not lose 2lb a week?

No. It would - theoretically - be about 1.6 lb. Which is close to 1% (a standard advised threshold) of your bodyweight (1.49 lb). So 1200 isn't necessarily a terrible goal for you.

This, of course, is provided your TDEE actually is 2000.

eta: If you're going to exercise, eating only 1200 Cals is then quite a bad idea. You'll want to eat - most, or at least some of - your exercise Calories back.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Have you worked out your TDEE on a calculator?

2000 is high unless you are very active or have a lot of muscle at 5ft tall.

https://tdeecalculator.net/
  • ashleighroy7
    Options
    I'd be happy with 1.6lbs was only looking some tips not to be slated
  • ashleighroy7
    Options
    No I've never heard of tdee I'm very new to this
  • ashleighroy7
    Options
    Five foot four I was meant to write sorry
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Five foot four I was meant to write sorry

That's very different, I added a link to the calculator to my above post for you.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    No I've never heard of tdee I'm very new to this

In that case, I'll make it very simple for you. Assuming you've input your stats (height, age, weight, gender) correctly into MFP, go to your goals page and tell it you want to lose 1.5 lb per week. Eat however many Calories it tells you to eat, including 50-100% of the Calories you earn from exercise. Take whatever weight loss you get.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You might learn something if you play around with this calorie calculator. MFP uses something close to "Mifflin St Jeor:"

http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

Of course, losing 2lbs/week is equivalent to a net deficit of -1000kcals per day. It's tough on your body, particularly if you are pretty light already.
  • ashleighroy7
    Options
    My tdee saying mantanice calories 2164
  • ashleighroy7
    Options
    Yes that helps a lot thank you
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'd say if your 2164 tdee is accurate, go ahead and reduce 750 cals to make a 1.5/week loss, (eat about 1400 per day). But if you add exercise or tons of walking, eat back 50-75% of the calories burned (MFP tends to overestimate these amounts). This way you will lose steadily, preserve your muscle, and after you get adjusted you shouldn't experience too many hunger pangs if you are eating relatively healthy foods.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Yes that helps a lot thank you

Any spare calories you have left each day can be "Banked" also.

So say you set your goal to 1664 for 1lb loss and you ate 50 calories less each week day. You could then eat those at a weekend to enjoy life a bit and you would still hit your goal.

Life is too short to be all deficit and no fun!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'd say if your 2164 tdee is accurate, go ahead and reduce 750 cals to make a 1.5/week loss, (eat about 1400 per day). But if you add exercise or tons of walking, eat back 50-75% of the calories burned (MFP tends to overestimate these amounts). This way you will lose steadily, preserve your muscle, and after you get adjusted you shouldn't experience too many hunger pangs if you are eating relatively healthy foods.

No OP wouldn't as TDEE already counts the activity.

That would be by NEAT.
  • ashleighroy7
    Options
    I started eating breakfast as I never did changed my lunch to salads I've started walking to work which is 4.4 miles I've also got a young son and two dogs to run around after so ill see how that goes
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My tdee saying mantanice calories 2164

Keep in mind that is going to be a rough estimate and may not align to your actually TDEE. Personally, i'd start you at 1500 calories, put protein between 100 to 120g and include some resistance training to your routine; even if it's just a body weight program.

Aggressive weight loss without adequate protein or resistance training will increase the chance of muscle loss. More muscle loss means it will take a longer to get to the body fat you actually want. What most people dont' realize, is people actually want body fat reductions, not weight loss.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Options
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    Losing 2lbs per week is very sustainable with the proper nutrition and workout routine until you start to get sub 7-8% for men and about 16-17% for women. I would suspect most people at those levels would be fairly happy with their body unless they were trying to do some sort of competition or hit some specific weight.

I'd question this, but I often see .5 to 1% of your weight per week as a good goal. But considering the audience, this would be aggressive since many don't have good protein levels and many wait to incorporate weight training.